1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro's and con's of turning up torsion bars?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Jakedaawg, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jakedaawg

Jakedaawg Senior Member
    from N. Mi

Can someone point to a good thread on turning up torsion bars on a 2010 2500HD 4800 lb front axle plow and tow prep package?

I am looking for a discussion of benefits and disadvantages as well as a how to.

Is it possible to turn them up too far? Is there a way to gauge the proper amount and can they be turned up too far?

Are there any things you need to know to look for, such as problems that may arise after you have done so?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

GM has a spec called the "z height" for these trucks- it's a range for the maximum height recommended by GM- if you stay within the confines of the "z height range" you shouldn't run into problems. Will cranking up your t-bars wear out front end components faster?- somewhat yes, but with my t-bars having been cranked on both my pickups for over 75K on one and 60K on the other with no front end issues, I'd say you won't run into problems unless you're really abusing the truck. Best bet IMO if you're trying to keep the truck from "bottoming out" with a plow on the front- crank up the bars a few turns- GET AN ALIGNMENT, add timbrens to the front, and run a few hundred pounds of ballast against the tailgate- been doing it this way for several years now always worked well for me!

3. mschaffer92

mschaffer92 Junior Member

Not to steal your thread but is there any pros vs cons in installing either3/4 ton or one ton t bars on a half ton pick up with a plow.

4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Besides a stiffer ride? No. All pros, one con.

5. mschaffer92

Hey 06sierra do you think 3/4 ton bars and keys be plenty enough then?

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Is it even possible to put 3/4 one ton bars on a half ton?

You do not need bars and keys. Keys are a waste of money

What are you trying to do?

7. 2006Sierra1500

As long as its not a 4 door Tahoe, yes, its completely possible. i believe its possible on a 4 door tahoe too if you move the t-bar crossmember back because for some unknown reason GM decided to put shorter bars on the 4 door. While the 2 door had truck bars. As did the Suburban.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

A 4800 lb. front end rating on a three quarter ton truck is just fricking ridiculous in the first place.

9. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

So just crank up. align, and timbrens..... How much would that get, maybe 1-2"?

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

What are you trying to put on the truck?

11. mschaffer92

Im just trying to beefnup the front a little for the plow i want to get

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Which plow..

13. 2006Sierra1500

Ford and Dodge still offer those ratings. As does Chevy. My 04 GMC 2500 does fine with the 4800. Never bottomed out with an 8' HD. Completely stock, hell I think the bars might have been turned down a little.

14. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't know about Ford, but Ram (Dodge) does NOT offer a 4800 lb front end in a three quarter ton truck. At least not from '13 until now. The lightest front end rating they have is 5,200 with a hemi, and 5,500 with the 6.7.

15. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

I have a 2009 GMC 2500HD extended cab short box with a MVP 3 8.5 with wings. About (1,100 LBS) I run my torsion bars up about 3 turns, put in timbers in and run 750LBS at the tailgate with LT285-70-17 tires. never got stuck never had a problem, and has plowed since 2009. The truck has 75,000 miles on it.

16. mschaffer92

I had a fisher mm1 on before i had to sell it and it just made the front squat pretty good. Since i learned so much about them i would just rather get another one of those

17. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

I have my torsion bars cranked in my 3/4 ton to level. I had my last truck, a 1500 series blazer,lifted with the tbars. If you're just looking to get the weight of the plow up a little then it's no big deal, however if you're looking to lift the truck that way and you overcrank you may start blowing through cv axles. If you really crank them you could get about 2-2.5 more inches but your CV angles will deteriorate swiftly. Whatever you choose to do with them make sure you get an alignment asap after touching them.

18. mschaffer92

I had a fisher mm1 on before i had to sell it and it just made the front squat pretty good. Since i learned so much about them i would just rather get another one of those

19. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

My HD has a 4670 FGAWR

20. 2006Sierra1500

Jesus might as well call it a heavy half. Then again...2 of my rigs have 3600 FGAWRs, and one with 3925. And one with 4800.