1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro's and Con's of Boss V vs. Straight

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Rex in OTZ, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

The company's late 1990's era Boss V RT-3 Power V is showing its age they want to replace with new, the Straight plow vs V plow is now a issue, I'd like to retain the V type for the sheer fact that if needed I can use the V to work through drifts I couldnt with a straight in a maintenance emergency (maintence response vehicle) for that boiler is out call late at night during a blizzard.

So I was looking for the bare unvarnished facts so I can make a unbiased decision, the company is leaning twards a straight blade plow because its cheaper and less parts. I like the power V because I can really stack snow useing the V also makes scatter sweeping easyer, pluse the effective drift perceing capability of the V when opening a trail if forced to.

Im leaning twards the V but from a maintence view the straight looks allot simpler to maintain.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Obviously the owner has never plowed before,or he wouldn't even think going to a straight plow.And the fact your plow is 12-15 years old now shows how well it worked so far.

3. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Not really much difference in part amounts, not enough to worry about

4. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

wind whipped drifts in my area

We get allot of wind, this can be bad as it whips up drifts that can be awefully hard, in past to check heat (boiler heat) at a far off building I couldent rely on city or state to clear the road out of town as they were strapped with just clearing local streets and roads. the Boss was key in getting a truck out there short of a snowmobile and sled.
    Drifts can be really hard to clear out and I had taken to scytheing off drifts to break through
    just useing 4-6 inches of the outer edge the blade and shave off a bit at a time, wish work would spring for a tractor & bucket to break up the hard stuff, straight blades just dont come close to the Boss V for moving allot of loose snow off a area like a aircraft parking apron or parking lot.
    Ive determined that if you cannot simply drive a aluminum grain scoop in a drift you shouldent use the plow on it, Its too hard (abuse) need a tractor to bust it up for ya first.

5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Both plows are super easy to wrench on and maintain. I have had both and will never go back to a straight blade.

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You are the first Alaskan I've heard call a snowmobile a snowmobile and not a snowmachine. You know your plowing better than we do, if the V has worked out so far why change?

7. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Junior Member

Plowing the hard stuff

Yes some winters are mild and some can be the exception, 2008 we had 13 blizzards back to back.
    This year was warmer than expected and lead to harder snow, have had fresh 3 foot drifts the nighte before that were so hard your boots only left tread marks on the surface with no indentation from the heel and sole.

The term Snowmachine is widely used as well as sno-go or eskimo (Ca Moon)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

There is almost the same amount of moving parts, center pin on the V adds a little more wear vs a straight blade. Maintenance is a little higher. But it does not out weight productivity of a V versus a straight blade. I say V over a straight!

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

There is no comparison, once you go V I have RARELY heard of anyone returning from the other side and then going straight.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Stay with the V. I don't think there really is a big difference in price between the two.

11. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

awesome another guy from alaska since a member on here who will go unnamed diserted us without any more pics. what are we up to know 3 yes stay with the V and think about getting the wings

12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

There is not a single reason to go back to the straight blade, not when it comes to production anyway. Perhaps because it's cheaper, but the time saved in production will more than pay for that in no time flat.

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I'd go with a V only time i like the straight blade better is if i am working with a loader doing all the detail work back dragging corners and loading docks etc.