1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pros and cons of a 7.6 sport duty??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by KEC Maintaince, Nov 12, 2011.

1. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

after speaking to a few people i am still on the fence about what type of plow to purchase.
    the local Fisher dealer is a little high on the prices and from what i understand he is not that reliable when it comes to servicing.
    the local Boss dealer is about 15 minutes away and from what i here his service is pretty good when it comes to servicing and emergency parts and off hours also just looking for some general info on the sport duty plow 7.6 as it will fit my truck. a little lighter then the fisher 7.6 but not worried.
    also ballast it tells me i need to run ballast like 342 lbs would it be easier if they allowed a 7.6 standard duty on the truck instead of all that ballst jmo...
  2. DSM

DSM Junior Member

I have had various plows over the years, but just got a 7'6" Sport Duty this summer. I used it on 9" of very heavy (wet) snow at the end of October. I have no complaints, it worked as expected. I plowed two long stone driveways. I did put shoes on it, which is no simple matter since you have to drill holes. I did not do any back-dragging, so I can't comment on how it would work. The truck is an '11 Sierra 1500 and I had no ballast but it does have on/off road tires and a posi rear. The plow did not trip excessively. It seems very well built but I am concerned that all the gravel will scratch up the poly mold board.
  3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I recently Sold my boss plow with my 03 gmc sierra 1500 had a 7'6" on it..
    Loved that truck had no problems we added like 300 pounds in salt in it for i guess ballest. But it really was mostly for spreading on sidewalks and stuff.

You never told us what truck you're putting it on...

But the plow is nice and light.(at 400 pounds) It was always a driveway truck for me and SOMETIMES a commercial plow truck as a backup but its really not made for that so we didnt do that often.
    I have only had boss so i might be a little bias but i love them, and never have had any problems with them in 19 years.

ohhh! when it comes to backdragging in heavy snow NO PLOW unless you have a pull plow is going to scrape all the way down clear. But the right plower can make it work. Since boss plows dont have Down pressure, all you have is blade's weight so in heavy snow it tends to ride ontop of snow.

So what i tend to do where i can/ have the space is push the snow forward then trigger up a little bit and push it on the grass.

ALSO stock up on parts such as Hoses, Fluid, Return springs, etc. And you will be okay!
    At my shop we have 12 boss plows on the road during any storm so we have a FULL stock of Boss parts.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  4. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

Thanks guys
    truck is a 2010 GMC Canyon v-8 5.3 liter crew cab 411 gears and electronic lockers. the reason why im askin about the boss is i have herd that the boss dealer service is very good and he is reasonably priced compared to the fisher and blizzard dealer.
    still up in the air as to put plow on this yr or wait till spring to get a good deal.