1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pros and cons for jeep vs. short bed truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by blc1, Dec 28, 2010.

1. blc1

blc1 Junior Member
    from ohio

I have picked up a lot of places this year that have tight drives to get into. They are a little bit tough to get in and out with my 3/4 tons and 1 ton.

I have been looking around at wranglers and the 1/2 tons with the 6.5 beds. Can you guys give me some pros and cons of each vehicle please.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the wrangler. Even the 1/2 ton is still going to require at least a 7 1/2 foot plow, which may still be tough to get into tight spots.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

jeeps are small and can maneuver pretty well...with a jeep you would lose your bed space if you need it though
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I used to use an F 150 i got a jeep as backup, used the jeep once... sold the truck

turning radius is small (not the same pro as short)
    plenty of power (6 Cyl never. used 4 Cyl, suppose to have plenty of power)
    easy to see the plow/garage

light weight (will need SNOW tires, not M/T tires not all season tires not old style big lug tires snow tires )

I use 7 1/2 plowers
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  5. blc1

blc1 Junior Member
    from ohio

It seems like the biggest problem I run into is turning into tight spots. I thought the jeep would have a much better turning radius and its about 4 feet shorter. I do lose the bed that I could use for other things in the summer time while landscaping.
  6. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I've never used a jeep but have seen them in action getting into corners where my shortbed won't go, they maybe lightweight but don't be fooled...
  7. tigertownman

tigertownman Junior Member

i myself have a 1/2 chevy truck with the 6.5 ft bed , its perfect . I plow a few gas stations and a few banks , and it is perfect for getting in and out of tight places , and i can put about 20 bags of salt on it for my tailgate spreader. Plus it gets awesome gas mileage in the summer and somewhat good in the winter. You will like the truck better , the jeep limits you to just plowing in the winter , no salt. and in the summer you have very little room for anything. My truck i can put 2 yards of mulch in the bed . hold wheel barrels , alot more can be done with a truck. Plus this year im going to put 3/4 ton leaf springs under my rear axles so I can carry more salt with me ,

8. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Haha on 1/2 ton springs and no air bags Im sure. Your the guys I always have to stop and hook up to their 5x8 trailer with 5 yards in it and are backing up traffic for miles because your hitch broke off your truck.

I know Im sure you have done this a million times like the next guy but when your tire blows out and it kills someone have fun with that lawsuit just because you were too cheap to set it up properly.

Im sorry but I cant stand ignorance. My truck is setup to tow whatever. Everything is rated to do so also. I know how much 2 yards strains a truck cause Ive had in my bed before and I had my bags up to 60psi and it was still sinking a little. And thats on a 2500 HD. I never usually tow with bags over 35-40 psi and thats with max tongue weight on my enclosed trailer.
  9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

496 BB - 2 yards of mulch really does not weigh that much, so I don't see it as a problem.

A jeep is great, take the top off in the summer, do the Jeep wave (Jeepers know what I am talking about).

But, we only have large lots so we don't plow with our Jeep, but in tight spots it would plow circles around the truck. Take the back seat out, room for salt or sand bags and good to plow.
  10. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

496, your scared to put 2 yards of mulch in your HD with bags?? Your the one who sounds like an idiot.
  11. jblatti13

jblatti13 Senior Member

go with the jeeeep!!! i have a chevy 1/2 ton short bed and a jeep wrangler as my backup. last storm the truck broke down and i went out with the jeep to finish up. i **** you not i was able to turn around in most of my driveways instead of pulling out to the street and backing it. i dont have snow tires or any of that. took the back seat out and loaded with salt bags and shovels. it truly is awesome. only downfall would be if u needed the bed space for other work, but you could pick up a used jeep with plow for a couple grand and beat the crap outa it.
  12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'd vote for the Jeep.

With some beefing up they can handle a decent sized blade, Plowmeister runs a 7'6 Boss V and I've seen on another site a fella was running a beefed up Rubicon ( I believe, not sure) with a Blizzard 760 swingwing. So they can be built handle some serious snow.
  13. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

Had a jeep wrangler.... sold it for a dodge 2500.... after this winter.... I'm going back to a jeep......I hate plowing with the truck...Would take a Jeep to plow over a truck any day!
  14. blc1

blc1 Junior Member
    from ohio

Sounds like almost everybody is leaning towards the jeep. I was thinking I could still use it in the summer to run around and do estimates. It would be a good daily driver and I'm sure you could still throw a small single axle trailer on there to pull aerators and over seeders also.

I wish I could find a used jeep with a plow for a couple grand. I haven't been able to find anything out there. Anything I do come across ends up being a manual too.
  15. georgerk82

georgerk82 Senior Member
    from OHIO

Haha two yds of mulch weights about 1600 lbs. and the hauling capacity of a new 1500 is about 2000 lbs so I think he will be just fine. If your 2500hd with air bags strains with 2 yds you might want to take it to a mechanic because mine does not notice it.
  16. tsut

tsut Member
    from NE Ohio

Switched from F250 to Wrangler this year (500' drive, home use) and LOVE the Jeep so far.
    1. Can turn around on pads (used to be a 5 point turn)
    2. Eliminates most back-dragging (can push parallel to door now, for my layout)
    3. Better mileage
    4. MORE FUN (all year)
    5. The wife will get in and plow when I'm not home (NEVER happened in the pickup)

2000 Wrangler Sport 4L, 5 speed
    Firestone WInterforce
    (New) SnowDogg 6.5
  17. BlackIrish

BlackIrish Senior Member

I have a boatload of F350's and 3 jeeps.
    Jeeps are sent where F350's don't fit and they work great.
  18. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

Sounds like if your haveing trouble in tight spots the jeep will serve you well. It really depends on your contracts. My only complaint with not useing a full size truck is the weight of the plow has to be be pretty light, and I wonder about the overall durability of it compared to the commercial duty plows.wesport
  19. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

Jeep, Jeep , Jeep! And if the Wrangler doesn't have enough space, you can get an XJ Cherokee cheap and they're great plow trucks too. I used a Wrangler last year and am using an XJ this year and loved them both. This is after many years using full size trucks. I still have a Bronco, but I have had someone else drive it this winter and have no interest in going back. Good luck.
  20. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea Im scared and an idiot. I guess I wouldnt know since Im not a landscaper.

I had wet mulch as most of it is here. Not sure what that weighs but I had about 2.5-3 scoops from a bobcat and it was more than 1600 lbs.

My point was I just have a pet peeve for dumbazzes over loading. I see it all the time.