1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prorecting concrete

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nascar, Nov 22, 2009.

1. nascar

nascar Junior Member

My new boss V Xt seems like it really scratches up the concrete even when I am just taking it off. Will it tear up concrete or is it jsut because it is so new and the cutting edges are fresh. Do these marks stay in the concrete or do they clear away with a little weather. Don't want to be getting calls that I tore up their driveways. Kind of new so forgive my ignorance.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you can get poly cutting edges for your plow, they wont scratch like metal well

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

unfortunately steel scratches and gouges concrete

4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Did you misstype and mean PreWrecking concrete?

If that is the case make sure you pretreat with liquid calcium chloride in July everyday until next July. Also make sure you preplow all drives and lots at 25mph+ with down pressure whether there is snow in the forecast or not.

Actually just bring in an M1 Abrams and blow some stuff up. :gunsfiring:

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Takes a few passes for new cutting edges to wear in.
    The marks will disappear in time.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I thought maybe Scooby-Doo learned how to type. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

7. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

All the years of experience & wisdom in this thread so far, I can't believe no one has given him the obvious answer yet: You need to hand-file your new cutting edge.

8. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Just like filing the new paint off mower blades. just somethin you gotta do.

9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I found myself scrolling back to the top and pronouncing it as he spelled it, in proper scooby doo fashion......thanks mark

To the OP, the only way to eliminate that is to go urethane or rubber for a cutting edge. On most older driveways you may find that its not a problem using steel, because they already have wear/age to them.....but if you have a customer with a "new this year" asphalt or concrete drive, they might b*itch come spring time about the marking.?.?.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Is Urethane for sure not going to mark a brand new sealed concrete drive?

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I personally cant say that I have plowed "alot" of "brand new sealed driveways"....we dont do alot of resi work.....but the ones that I have done (brand new sealed drives), had 0 marks/damage at the end of the winter resulting from our urethane edges used on them. My own personal driveway would be one, it has a stamped border, not one bit of damage. My grandparents driveway would be another, no noticable damage either......we did have a customer that sealcoated and crack patched their blacktop drive last year, and this past spring I noticed a couple spots where the patching material looked as though the u edge wanted to start peeling it up, but it didnt....no noticable scratches though, or marks in the seal coat.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks, I've had a few people ask me but I don't have any first hand knowledge.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW, we did a really fancy colored driveway for one of my guys this year....he is also the one that will be running our 88 blazer with 8ft daniels pull plow, and meyer 7.5 w/pro wings. This truck runs full urethane. He will obviously be keeping his own drive nice and clean. This will be another "brand new sealed drive" at the end of this coming winter, that we can see the results from using urethane.

14. Mark Oomkes

I'd be more concerned about scratching that high quality walk\porch sealing job, Dave. :drinkup:

Sorry man, I couldn't resist. :laughing:

Seriously, never had a problem with scratches from U edges either.

15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

anyone know where to get some qaulity poly blades for a truck plow? i tried calling locally but didn't get far

16. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I found this http://www.rubbercal.com/Poly_Blades.html If any one in Ontario knows somewhere local I would like to know.

I've been getting calls lately for residentials with decorative concrete drives and am considering putting one on a multi-purpose/clam shell bucket. I just don't know if I want to put it on the bucket edge or the blade edge. If the wear rate is within 50-60% of the wear rate of steel then I think I'll go with the front edge. If they wear too fast or are prone to breaking with out a trip I'll likely mount it too the blade edge. Any insight is appreciated.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What took you so long.:rolleyes::D

18. Mark Oomkes

Check your PM's.

I was trying to get my truck started. :dizzy: :laughing:

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I actually laughed out loud. Damn that was funny.:drinkup:

20. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

There's no doubt your v-plow is heavy. I would worry about this too for a new drive. I guess this is where a light plow like a Western Suburbanite or Fisher Homesteader might be more friendly due to its light weight.