1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PROPLUS QUESTION please help?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by buckhigh, Jan 12, 2009.

1. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Hey guys,

I have a brand new 7.5' ProPlus and all of a sudden when I angle her to the left, it pulsates/studders really bad. When I angle it to the right she glides real smooth to a complete stop. If I hold the button down to angle it all the way to the left and back to the right it is smooth as can be. When I try to just tap the the left buttom to angle her she shakes really bad to the point the whole front of the truck shakes. The crooked dealer claims the valves might not be opening and closing correctly and needed to order a sizing tool to see if there is any blockage in the valve? What do you guys think? The plow is only 2 months old and he wants to rebuild the motor which might not correct the problem entirely. I'm half tempted to return the plow tomorrow to get my $5400 bones back. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

sounds like there might be air in the system. Specicically in the ram. I would trfy draining the whole system including the rams and make sure all threaed parts have pipe dope on them then reattach.

3. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

On a brand new plow there is air in the system already? How the helll can that happen afetr using it only 3 times? I did some research on here and have found that the PO check valve could have a worn poppet...any idea?

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

neols. what dealer are you dealing with? carnegi?

5. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

I wish...I chose JUDCO over in Elyria. They were $200 cheaper, and now I know why. It took me years and hard labor seating my balls off to save 5k cash to buy this blade and now Im stuck with a POS. I think I'm going to return it tomorrow and get my money back and go buy it over at Carnegie. Carnegie told me if it was their plow they would have fixed it the same day. JUDCO wont touch it for a week and cant promise it will stop shaking. JUDCO wants to rebuild the motor, and why the fuq should I put up with a rebuilt motor on a 2 month old plow?

And now I know why I have high blood pressure. This is my first year in the landscaping/plowing business and it is growing steadily. The one thing I did learn starting up is that ALL DEALERS ARE CROOKS! Once they get your money, they never want to be bothered with you again. This blade is getting returned tomorrow and WESTERN CAN KEEP THEIR JUNK!

6. TRKling

TRKling Member

Whatcha gonna replace it with, a Meyers?:dizzy:

You choose the wrong dealer is all.

7. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

I'm going to replace it with a $20 shovel from home depot and do all my accounts the old school way. at least home depot has great customer service.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

:cool: you really picked the wrong line of work, if your blood pressure is high , This is for sure not an industry to get into , if you dont have mechanics skills, you cant improvise, and you cant deal with change

I hate to tell you, but every manuf. has a bad product from time to time... Iv had goo dluck with western , others havnt. It might just be bad luck

1 week isnt that bad... i have had to wait 3..... Thats why you should start learning about your plow and how to repair it. Yeah i know its "new " and you shouldnt have to . But your this fare into it. and you have to do something.

did you check the fluid level? did you check for air in the system? ... it gets in when they set it up, so if the dealer didnt bleed it properly, thats why....its a simple process

did you check the line pressure?

For awhile, western had a problem with the pick up tubes falling off the pump... so when the plow was raised , and fluid was taken out of the bowl, below a certain point, the plow would jerk or bearly move.... took me 3 months to figure that out on my "new" blade.... Cost of the repair was my time, plus some fluid... sure beat waiting the 3 weeks

Im just saying you shouldnt have to do anything, but the sad part is , you need to. If none of this makes any sense then id suggest learning it, or working for someone else

9. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

elite1msmith, I appreciate your insight and do understand the mechanics of all my landscaping and snow removal equipment. my only point to my frustration is the years of sweat and labor on my back to save enough money to buy a brand new plow in cash. and now only having it 2 months with loose bolts and motor issues should not happen. and if it does, than i shouldnt have to wait a week to get it repaired, and i shouldnt have to turn a bolt to fix it myself. its all about the principles of doing business. i paid for a product and expect a product to work especially being brand new. i do understand sh*t happens in life, and that is where its the dealers responsibilty to accomodate my concerns in a timely fashion. and a week is not timely. for example, my 2500hd is on its 3rd transmission, when chevy realized the 2nd one was irrepairable after only having 1500 miles on it, they had a new one in my truck in one day. thats the kind of service i expect after dropping $5400 bones. period.

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

HEY noels
    I'll drive down and take your plow in to get fixed (in one day ). The dealer will need hearing aids when I am done..No one says NO to Rich NO ONE !!!! Especially when it is brand NEW !!!

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with you on not having to fix something that is only 2 months old. However, it was probably made on a bad monday, or a good friday, lol. Anyhow, I would go to another dealer, and let them tell you what it needs. It should be under warranty, no matter where you take it. Shouldn't cost you a dime. Call Western support, and see what they say. There is no sense getting worked up about it. It's all part of running your own business. I'd almost be willing to bet my house that the dealer won't take it back at this point anyhow. Just do what you have to do to get it fixed, and make it right.

12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

1st, how does a new plow get air in it already? It comes that way, there isnt any fluid in the system until the plow is assembled and then run for the first time. You have a valve block, hoses and cylinders that are getting fluid pumped in behind any air in the system, the air needs to work its way back to the tank.

2nd, a valve resizing tool, WTF is that, they can tell by pullling the valves and inserting a screw driver in the end of the valve wether or not it works.

3ed, dealer is talking about the valves but wants to rebuild the motor? Your right on that, what are they thinking, obvisouly the motor isnt the problem!

4th, pilot operated check valve, now your headed in the right direction, could be a bad spring or bad o-rings on the shuttle. Other option is cross over relief is just out of adjustment.

5th, CALL Western. tell them the problems your having with both dealers. Either of them should get your plow in the same day. Its Warranty work, they will get paid by western.