1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ProPlus angle left question?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by buckhigh, Jan 27, 2014.

1. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

When I angle the blade to the right whether it's a long hold or a quick tap on the controller, the blade angles very smoothly when it comes to a stop. On occasion, when I do the same thing but to the left, the blade feels like it studders before it makes a complete stop. It doesn't smoothly stop like it does to the right. Again, this doesn't happen all the time. But enough that it annoys me.

Is this an air issue? Sticky poppet valve or cross relief issue?

Thanks for any feedback...

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty much normal

3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I would check the poppet assembly. Make sure you check both plungers, and their springs to see that they aren't broken or mangled.

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Depends on the plow. The new fleet flex have smooth stop which I believe is a function of the controller. The older plows don't.

5. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. It's a 2011 model and has sat in the shop ever since. Mint condition with low hours on it.

6. mishnick

In 2011 they sold both fleet flex and regular. Does the hydraulic unit have a black plastic shroud covering it or can you see the motor and reservoir? Model would help but not essential, we can assume its a straight blade so we know its a Flowstat hydro unit. It's just the electronics that is different between the two generations.

7. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

7'6" ProPlus straight blade. Heading to the shop now so I can give model and serial numbers if needed. This plow does not have the plastic shroud cover.

I did talk to Jeff at Western tech support and he claims this is a common problem on newer plows. The year I bought the plow is when they started converting all handhelds to smooth stop. He's not sure which one I have but gave me the codes to activate it if I have it? He thinks it's a smooth stop issue, or the center pin bolt is not torqued down enough causing the jerky stop. He assures me that nothing hydraulically is causing this problem.

8. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Update. My correction, plow install date 11/08/08. Touchpad has smooth stop technology built in. Cannot activate or deactivate because of year.

Called back to Western and talked to Andy. Will be taken to the dealer tomorrow morning. He thinks it's an S2 or S3 valve problem. We shall see.

When I first purchased the plow, Western and Plowsite claimed this was a problem and it should not be doing that. Dealer claimed it's normal. Tomorrow should be fun with what they find and how much the bill will be.

Thanks for all the feedback again guys!

9. mishnick

What Western is telling you sounds right because the smooth stop is not switchable (on and off). So I think it has to be a valve problem but then again maybe it is fixed into the controller. I will be interested to know what they find. Let us know what they say when it's fixed..

10. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Of course I will. Truck will be there by 8am so hoping to have it back by this time tomorrow. I'm sure it's a hydraulic issue at this point. I'm just pissed that I took the dealers word upon purchase that this is normal. I feel cheated out of my warranty. Trust me, he'll hear it from me upon diagnosis.

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

soft stop goes clear back to when the cab command with the 6 pin connector first came out. but it wasn't programmable until fleet flex plows with the 44354-3 version plow module a few years ago. (same time as Security Guard).

12. mishnick

But what does actually allows / causes the soft stop on the non fleet flex units? Is it the controller that shuts off the power to the valve slowly or is it a function of the valve?

13. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

^you are correct^Do you work for Western?? Ha! Those are the exact same words that came out of tech support today.

14. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

lol. no I don't work for Western, but I've been selling them for 36 years.

mishnick, the soft stop on the older plows is all in the control. if you change from a cab command to a joystick you don't have soft stop.

15. mishnick

Well then it could certainly be in the controller if he has cab command. And if he does not then it must be a valve issue..

16. buckhigh

buckhigh Senior Member

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner! Valves S2 and S3 were replaced and fixed the problem. Owner of the dealer ate the labor to help me out, and I had to just pay for the valves and oil change. Still a $325 bill, but feel much better knowing the problem was resolved.

He gave me the valves when I left. Can they be rebuilt and sold? Or scrap them?

Thanks again guys for all the feedback!

17. mishnick

Good to hear it's resolved. I have never heard of rebuilding them. I destroy them so I am not tempted to re-install them. Once they are declared unreliable I don't want them around.