1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

property staking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTS Landscaping, Oct 21, 2004.

1. JTS Landscaping

JTS Landscaping Member

just wondering when you guys usually start staking your properties like condos and stuff.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Right after Halloween. :waving:

3. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Just curious, what everyone uses to stake....

Easy & cheap fiberglass garden stakes, reflectors, etc..

Bill

4. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Staking

I'd like to know also, I've always went with digital cam. printouts to plow by, ,most of the time if not always I've had my shovelers either do an edge w/ the snowblowers or footprints, or a shovel depending on the location....

I was thinking about those little flags I see when I get a markout, or???

5. The Boss

I get mine at menards. They are fiberglass reflective poles about 1/2 in. thick. $.99 a piece. :waving:

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I take digital pictures to put in a binder and stake according to what I'm staking. If it's just boundaries, like driveways or parking area limits, I use cheap, plain, markers from Angelos (.45 per hundred). If it's a hazard, like a ditch, I'll use round red reflector-type markers (locally $1.69 - $2.50). If an obstacle, I'll use blue reflectors. If I run out of a particular color reflector, I'll use a plain one and tie a red or blue plastic ribbon (type we use to tie on trees for property boundaries) on it.

I went around last week. Actually kind of late, but was waiting for a shipment of stakes.

7. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

8. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Correction - I said .45 per hundred. I meant .45 a piece for a bundle of 100.

Forty lashes with a wet noodle. :(

10. RICHIE K

RICHIE K Member
    from NJ

11. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

The Boss
    I would like to see the reflective markers that you get at Menards for .99 cents.
    Can you bring one with you on the 6th?
    I have 48 inch tall 5/16 diameter fiberglass "reflective" markers available for $1.89 each.
    So if anyone wants a "quality" commercial "reflective" marker please let me know.
    :rolleyes: John............................

12. REED384

REED384 Senior Member

Stakes

you can get orange 4foot i think from j thomas for 35 cents each. its what i use.

13. The Boss

John, I'll bring one along with a couple of other styles they have. :waving:

14. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I use wooden survey stakes with the top painted orange. I bought them from a local lumber yard for .25 per sitck. When you plow them over or someone steals them it's not a big hit on your pocket.

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I use orenge stakes with a white reflective top. I will start staking in about 2-3 weeks, earlier if snow is forecast, but by november 20 th even if snow is not in the forecast.

16. mole

mole Senior Member

I use pressure treated deck rail stakes that you can get from home depot for .35 cents each. Come in a bundle of 12. they work great there are already cut on an angle so all you have to do is drive them in with a sledge. They take a beating and you can use them year after year.

17. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Would those be comparable to the fiberglass ones that Farm And Fleet sell?

18. The Boss

I'm not sure. I can't remember what they look like. Been awhile since I was there last. :waving:

19. SnowMizer

SnowMizer Junior Member

I place my stakes out Nov. 1, before the ground freezes. I use oarnge fiberglass stakes sharpened on one end.

20. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

In a couple of weeks is when i start staking out the lots i do. I also take pictures of the curbs and beds and the lots before it starts snow to know where all the imperfections are that way there if the owner tells me that i damaged there property during my plowing i can go back look at the pictures and see if it was like that before it snowed usually shuts owners up when you can produce pictures when they try to cheat you out of money come paytime