1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Property Managers: Your Thoughts On These Mythical Beasts

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by NW Snow Removal, Dec 29, 2010.

1. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

Can someone please explain to me why one management company managing the same type of property (with even some exact same tenants) can have such a varied view on snow management requirements? Is it just each property manager's experience? Do they just have different deals going with their tenants? Do they get some sort of bonus for controlling snow costs?

Should a plowing company demand that their contract with a client be updated if they call and want to "lighten up" the amount of service since their bills are getting high from all the recent snow? Or at least make them sign a waiver holding us harmless if anything happens due to untreated surfaces? Or is keeping any accurate log of all customer communication enough in case something happens and their "lightening up" of service is to blame?

Some of our property managers have been with us for years and we have a great relationship with them. They seem kind of offended when I respond to their concerns about their high bills with "Yeah we can visit the property less but you'll have to sign a waiver".

Why does everyone seem to want everything in one bag, but they don't want the bag to be heavy?
  2. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

If said company is requesting you be at the property less, than you need to sit down with them in a professional manner and explain to them that if you assume all liability for snow and ice related accidents and with the request for you to lesson the service intervals its not fair to your company. That would be like you lessoning your service and still charging them the same as before. I keep a paper trail of these types of situation's and make them sign a updated contract. (have had 2 already this year)
  3. LB1234

LB1234 Member

I would be REALLY REALLY careful about this "lightening up" the workload. IMHO you are asking for a big problem later on down the road. Assuming you have contracts in place for a specified trigger, salt service, etc. by lightening up the workload you are more than likely breaching your contract. I would get everything in writing AND rework the contract. But as previous poster said sit down with them in a professional manner and explain to them what they are actually asking you to do and the asociated risks associated with it.

As far as the various viewpoints of property managers...I have no idea...does anyone? I'm not a large company by any stretch of the imagination but of the handful of properties we maintain/have maintained over the years they are all different...some want the impossible (basically that no snow ever is able to reach the ground and stick) and those that want nothing done till after the storm unless its business hours (funeral home). I dunno, beats me why they are like this. I think part of it is due to it being extremely hard to budget for snow services.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I wouldn't re-work the contract. You have a contract, they agreed to it and should honor it. This is there famous move: "We didn't expect so much snow, is there any we can cut back?" Really what they want is the same service for less. Heard it many times:angry:. Don't back down, next month could work in their favor with little snow. Usually by the end of the year it has evened out.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Well played Sir. :nod::nod: