1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

proper usage and removal?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by nxtkitt, Jan 20, 2007.

1. nxtkitt

nxtkitt Junior Member

I'm so new and glad I found this site. Just bought a 93 Silverado 1500 with a Western plow already on it. I don't know what kind of mount it is, but the bumper is removed from the truck's body and is "suspended" between the blade and the truck. It's weird looking. Does anyone know off hand what type of mount it is? If not, where on it can I look to ID it?

Also, I got a chance to plow a tiny bit, but I wanna make sure I don't break the thing. The Western control is a joystick and when I tap it to go down it seems like it's pushing down until i move the joystick to the center of the pad. Am I supposed to leave it pushing down so it scrapes better? Or is that tough on the motor - maybe the weight of the blade itself should do that?

I never thought something could have so many viewpoints on it.

Thanks in advance

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome to Plow Site! :waving: I think you'll find a lot of good info on here.The type of mount you have is refered to as a "conventional" mount with a cable operated Mark IIIA style pump. As to your joy stick,you can leave it in the down position when you lower the plow, this is called the "float" position.This will allow the plow to "float" along the ground if it's uneven, thus following the ground contour's.You can leave it in the float position as much as you want or need to, as the motor doesn't run in the float position so it's not taxing the electrical system or hurting the plow in any way.

3. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Western

I had a western Pro Plow and it was a great set up. I bought it used and installed it myself onto a Chevy 2500.

I didn't have any information other than a crude hand drawn schematic for the lights only. It's been a few years now since I lived there but I seem to recall a Western dealer somewhere near the Butler area right off the freeway. I took a look in the internet yellow and white pages and con't find them now so maybe they went out of business.

Anyway, that's a shame because they were so helpful. I stopped in to buy a new set of hoses and after asking how I could get manuals for it, the guy went and copied them on the spot. Never charged me a dime for them either.

4. doh

doh Senior Member

My 93 Conventional Isomatic had a detent in the joystick for float, (black plug) so it may not be cable control.