1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Proper Uni-Mount Hitch Pin Orientation?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ColliCut, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ColliCut

ColliCut Member

I recently started plowing with a 7'-6" straight poly Uni-Mount, using Ultra-Mount truck-side brackets and the appropriate conversion assembly.

The first time I went out, the cotter pin somehow came out of the main hitch pin on the drivers side, and the main hitch pin eventually worked itself out of place. I noticed "slop" in the plow movements, investigated, and was able to recover the hitch pin, but the cotter pin was long gone.

Everything held together on the second trip, but when I took the plow off my truck today... I noticed that the new cotter pin in the drivers side hitch pin is twisted apart, to the point where it could've easily fallen out and made me lose the main hitch pin again.

Any thoughts on why this keeps happening? Am I somehow installing the cotter pin improperly? Is there a certain orientation that it has to be installed?

I can take a picture of the cotter pin if necessary but, basically, imagine forcing one apart until it's shaped like a "V" and no longer holds itself in place. That's what it looks like.

Thanks in advance!

-Mark

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure on why but spend a little extra money and get the hitch pins that require 2 pins. Also do not use a standard cotter pin they make a funky looking pin called a hair pin cotter that I have never lost.

3. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping Senior Member

Get a few pics of how you have it installed. I have 2 and have never had any issues with either doing this

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

^ Ditto.

I run mine with the handle out, pin in, never an issue.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

yea, lets see some pics. only thing I can think of is your putting the 1"hair pin on the outside of the bracket instead of the inside