1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Proper transmission warm up on a cummins/aisin

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Feb 5, 2014.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

On my 2006 cummins i was always told to use high idle and place transmission in Neutral. Tranny gauge shows it warming up...

Now on our 07.5 6.7l cab an chassis that has an Aisin tranny, high idle only works in Park. A tranny guy said this tranny allows the fluid to move in park, any truth?

What do you guys do? Not much info on aisin tranny

2. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Unless things have changed or the several people I've had tell me this are just screwing with me that fluid only pumps when its out of park. These are mechanics so I tend to believe them...said they've seen several dodge trucks with burned up trannies bc the owner let it idle in park.

I think there's some truth to this bc when it starts getting warm, I'll put it in neutral and set the parking brake to take a break, come back and its dropped 15*.

3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Its true for my year. I disconnected my trans cooler line to flush the system, and it can sit all day disconnected in park with no fluid loss. Soon as i put in neutral, it pumps out like a garden hose gone crazy. Every morning i start it up to warm the truck, it gets put in neutral to do so

I have the 518 with electric OD. Fluid level can only be checked in Neutural, as if it's in park,it won't give a proper reading.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

On the 2006, yes I agree the neutral to warm it up...I've done it since new.

What about the aisin? I found a technical info PDF online that shows line pressure is the same for neutral and park, but I just want to make sure. And someone told me the aisin flows even in park.

http://www.trucktransdiag.com/downloads/aisin-as68rc-Tech-Info.pdf

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

"only flows in park"
    This is NOT true for the 68RFE. It was true for the old RE-series transmissions (47RE, 48RE) behind the 5.9L, but not for 6.7L / 68RFE. The 68RFE (and its cousin the 545RFE for gas applications)
    Park and Neutral are hydraulically identical, so the pump will circulate oil in ALL gear positions (including Park and Neutral). thus
    the 68RFE has cooler flow, etc. in Park . So the cooler flow should be identical (and sufficient) in either position.

Most likely reason your temp is running higher in Park is simply that you have no airflow through the cooler, so you're adding a continuous small amount of heat inside the trans I would expect you to see the same temp if you idle in Neutral.

Yes. it does flow in "N"

It also will lock you out of 5th & 6th (auto) until it warms up.
    and to aid in warm up turn on the EB.

ps auto hi idle will happen all on it's own.
    What some are calling manual high idle is actually the PTO control.
    Some are using the PTO control as a set throttle and calling it high idle.
    To use the cruise control functions to "idel up" have the pto enabled if it isn't already.

pss on the g56 you will need to ground a wire from under the dash also.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Is that also true about the AS68rc?

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

the AISIN-SEIKI trans or for the Dodge is AS68RC. In the NPR trucks its a A465,
    Yes, it does pump fluid in both Park & neutral.