1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

proper size plow for truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bigramyoung, Dec 8, 2005.

1. bigramyoung

bigramyoung Junior Member
    from indiana

i'm looking to see what the best size plow for my truck would be. i used to have an old meyer 7 ft. on a 87 dodge ramcharger, it was on a homemade mount with add-a-leaves on the front. i recently sold the truck and plow and upgraded to a '99 dodge ram 3/4 ton ext. cab 4x4 5.9L V8 auto. I dont plan on doing any serious plowing, but, the driveways i do plow are quite long ( @ 1/8-1/4 mi.) and want to be able to plow without any problems.:salute:

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get a 8.#whatever, just get at least an 8 footer, then do you want a strait or V-plow?.
    For those long drives I would recommend a V-plow.

3. wddodge

wddodge Member

A 7 1/2 or 8 ft plow would be no problem for your truck. Since you're not going to do much plowing other than your own, I'd stick to the lighter duty Meyers or Western blades. The 500-600 lb blades are much easier on your truck than the 8-900 lb ones.

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd go with an 8' Boss SD or Fisher HD. For a 3/4 Ton truck, it can definitely handle the weight without any problems, and the extra width as compared to the 7 1/2' comes in handy when going around corners and such. Besides, if you are buying the plow used, chances are most of them out there are 8' Fishers. Even when buying new, the price difference is so inconsequential.

5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i personaly would go with the 7'6'' seeing that ur doing driveways...i have plowed with both 8footers and 7'6'' on driveways and i perfer the 7'6'' but everyone has their own opion on size id go with the 7'6''...

good luck

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

GET the 8+ it will fit in the garage just angle it as you drive in.
    The 8 foot blade will shine plowing drives, as most are at least 12 ft wide.
    There are always going to be small drives that your full size truck will not fit in and be able to plow ,so getting a small plow for the few small drives is a wast of a full size truck. you can leave the small tight drives for the guy running a Jeep. For doing those long drives you have you will be glade you got the 8ft plow on your 3/4 ton truck. How about a V-plow?
    Any thing smaller than an 8ft plow would be a wast of a 3/4 ton truck.

7. bigramyoung

bigramyoung Junior Member
    from indiana

thanks

thanks for the input. If i can I am looking to get my hands on a v-plow. I know a guy at work that said he knew where a ploy-v-plow was that had been sitting for about two years in a garage. the truck it came off of got wrecked so theres only the plow, but, if i can get it for a good price i wouldnt mind trying to piece something together. Once again, thanks a lot for the input. I really appreciate it.:salute: