1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Proper Plowing Technics

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beherit316, Sep 3, 2003.

1. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

I read on some post's here that people recomend to plow in 4 wheel low.I always use 4 wheel high is this incorrect and can it do damage to my 4 wheel drive system?
    When I plow I never exceed more then 10-15 mph.also it is said when transporting your plow never to exceed 45 mph as your truck could over heat.I position my plow angled to the left and have drove 75 mph on the highway and never experienced any over heating problems.My truck has a trans cooler which works very well.
    Question is am I asking for trouble exceeding 45 mph?Aslo how often should I change my trans fluid?Do I have to change more frequent because I plow or should i keep it on a regular basis?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You should be fine plowing in 4 HI.If the snow is heavy,and the truck is labouring,use 4 LO.I think in the last 15 years I've only used it a handful of times.4 LO is harder on the engine,as it tends to want to overrev in reverse.

You can plow faster that 10-15 MPH if the conditions are right.

Going faster than 45 MPH with the plow on can be dangerous sometimes,but as long as it's not overheating,you should be OK.
  3. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I plow in 4HI most of the time to,but i use 4LOW when its real heavy wet snow .If your truck doesnt overheat I dont think running 75 is doing anything .Having the trans cooler is a real help when you plow with a truck,and i would would just keep changing the trans fluid has you would usually.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Forgot to add about the trans fluid.

If your truck gets plowed hard every season,then I'd change it every year.It's cheap insurance.

If you don't do a lot of plowing,then change it every two.

It might be easier to add a drain plug kit when you have the pan off,so it's easy to drain and change.
  5. yako

yako Member

the local trans shop here charges under 100$ to flush the trans, change the filter and adjust the bands so i get it done anually. from what ive noticed fords do not have the problem with over heating as much as gms. fords have a taller grill i believe which keeps the air going through. i usually drive with the plow turned to the right, that way the right side of the plow is lower and if it were to catch on anything on the rode it would pull me of the road instead of on-coming traffic
  6. Santo

Santo Banned

4 hi

4hi is the way to go. I never change my tranny juice,i dunno i guess i never really held onto em that long,i usually get off em while their still worth a trade in.