1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

proper gear for personal use plowing?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Jeepm@n, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

I have a 99 XJ with an older meyer plow. On my 89 F250 I would plow in 4 low and not get going very fast as I only plowed my driveway and my neighbors and my clutch was starting to go out. My driveway is 590ft long gravel driveway. His is 200 ft gravel driveway. Do I also just use 4 low? or does it depend on the depth and type of snow? I do not want to beat my Jeep up as I also use it during the summer as a toy hauler and camping expedition rig.
  2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I have an '00 XJ with auto trans. I plow in 4WD low, mostly to control speed. My driveway is 450' long, but in one portion it has a 19% grade. The 4WD low helps me creep down the driveway and keep my foot off the brakes. I've been plowing with the Jeep for 5 years and driving in low doesn't seem to have caused any tranny or transfer case issues.

3. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

I agree with '00XJ, plowing at a slow controlled speed in 4Low will allow you to use the torque of the vehicle to move the load without stressing the motor or tranny. I have a larger truck that i plow with now and don't use 4Low because I carry a little more speed than the 3.91 gears will allow me in 4Low. You should be fine as long as you keep the speed/rpms down......make sure you change your transfer case fluid occasionally! I've seen them empty out and burn up the bearings!
  4. Jeepm@n

Jeepm@n Member

All fluid changes done. All synthetic Mobil 1 fluids in all cases except brake. Will flush those in spring.
  5. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I rarely use 4 low because I usually plow a paved driveway and I can plow fast enough that I don't need to use low. But in certain curcumstances I will use 4 low. A gravel driveway is one of those, especially if you don't want to throw gravel all over the place.
  6. IndoorPlower

IndoorPlower Junior Member

Agree with MLG. I rarely use 4 low. I am 4 high full time and pushing 20" plus sometimes at once in blacktop and gravel same on my 400ft driveway 2 car length. You should just get a wrangler and make life easier lol jk. Sometimes it all depends on how you plow the driveway also.
  7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

This. A little momentum is your friend, then put plow down. Downhill is also helpful.