1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Proper Fisher snow plow for 1500 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by jaymunn, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jaymunn

jaymunn Junior Member

I am considering buying a new 2011 Chevrolet 1500 regular cab 4x4 short box. I was on the Fisher site, did the match thing and they suggest the HT or SD series. When I called the local Fisher dealer, they say, go with the HD as that's what Fisher has offered for years and it's more rugged. Problem is, I notice the weight is at least 200 lbs more for the HD and why wouldn't the Fisher site recommend the HD. I don't want to put a plow on my truck that will destroy it but I don't want a junk plow either. I would be plowing 10-15 driveways. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Jay

2. IsaacCarlson

IsaacCarlson Junior Member

As a rule of thumb, a dealer will very often suggest the most expensive product. I am not saying either one is better for your truck. What I am saying is that you need to look at the build quality in person and decide for yourself. The HT and SD are narrower and much lighter, which would be good on a 1/2 ton. The HD is very heavy and is wider. The one thing to remember with selecting a plow is the wider you go, the more it takes to push it. Weight is at a premium with a 1/2 ton. I would get the HT if it were me. It has a steel cutting edge and is 7'6". There is nothing wrong with a 400 lb plow as long as it is strong. The HT sure looks strong. The plow I built for my 3/4 ton weighs around 400 lbs and it works as well as any other.

HT all the way IMO.:nod:

3. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

If you go to Fishers site and use the match system for my truck they say I can't run a XLS or Xtreme V on my truck. I see two F150's running around our town with 8'-2" BOSS Poly V's on them and I am not condoning overloading the front axle of a truck but it goes on all the time. Go with the HD you won't regret it in the long run, the dealer know's the product and what they see come back for warranty work or people coming back to buy a heavier plow because now they have out grown it in a season or two.

4. Druski

Druski Junior Member

I would say stick to the HT or SD (Depending if you want Hydraulic lift or Chain lift etc..) - the HD is over 700 pounds.. have you got a plow kit on that truck? (heavier springs etc... if not think Timbren Suspension Kit) it is a 1/2 ton truck after all....

My preference would be the SD as I prefer chain lift... and you did say it is a 2011 so I assume it is under warranty? Check with the dealership... I have heard of warranties being "Yanked" for having a plow on a 1/2 ton... not saying it is'nt done every day... but better safe than sorry.

PS... Even with the HT or SD... still think Timbrens!

5. IsaacCarlson

IsaacCarlson Junior Member

IMO the SD is not a great deal. It has a poly edge and that will wear out quick. The HT is built better.

6. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

My father in law has an 8' HD on his 2010 1500 CC. The dealer put better springs on before they installed the plow. The truck sits level and hardly moves when the plow is raised. The plow was installed by the dealer before he picked it up from them.

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would go with the HD. Have seen the SD and HD side by side and there is no comparison. My issue with the HT is what parts does the dealer keep in stock? My local dealer has nothing for the HT series since it is not nearly as popular as the SD and HD.

8. jaymunn

jaymunn Junior Member

I haven't even bought the truck yet but have my eye on it. I have a 2011 Chevy Avalanche but don't want to put a plow on it as I would have to cut the bumper:dizzy:. The truck would have full warranty and General Motors honors their warranty I believe. I like the idea of stiffening the front end, just wondering how it will ride without the plow? I think that I am more confused than ever, lol. I was trying to decide SD or HD, HT was even a consideration as it's lighter than an SD.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the HD. Your truck will handle it fine. If you don't go with the HD go with the SD. The SD is alot more rugged than the HT.

10. Grant9454

Grant9454 Member

We just put a fisher HT on our 2011 Chevy 1500 and just so you know no matter what plow you put on they have to notch the bumper on the 1500 and also our chevy dealer said if we put anything more than the Homesteader or the HT on the truck they would void our warranty for exceeding the weight ratings! It would suck to buy a new truck and have your warranty voided!

11. mdpsci1

mdpsci1 Junior Member

Grant is spot on in regards to the warranty, you will void it if you go outside the recommended plows. the 2011 and 2012 1500's from GM are very light in the fronts, you may need springs for the HT

12. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Go HD or HT, the SDs are junk. We have an HT, but you have to put it in float to mount it

13. 2006Sierra1500

We also had to adjust the ram on our HT once

14. mercer_me

Why do you think the SD is junk?

15. 2006Sierra1500

Poly cutting edge...now if it had a steel cutting edge then it'd be OK, but thats just my opinion because it wouldn't fit my needs, its just not big enough for the job we do.

16. 2006Sierra1500

And to go on top of that, the HT is ~80 lbs lighter than the 7'6" SD, has a steel cutting edge, a better blade curl, a better attack angle, and a 27" blade over the 26" of the SD.

17. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

first off no matter what plow you put on a 1500 will void the factory warranty even if they put it on get it in writing.
    the sd does have a poly edge but is just as good as the ht. when the poly wears put a steel edge on it and it will be fine.
    i have been researching these 2 plows for over a yr and can tell you the SD has more ribs and the angeling rams are 2in longer. plus uses some parts from the bigger plows so parts availavibility should not be a problem also look at the Boss sport poly 7ft6 blade another very good plow

if you like the back drag feature of the HT then get it if not get the SD you wont regret it. was going to put the SD on my truck this yr but decided to wait till spring to get one. If i dont go with the SD im puttin the Boss on

also better measure the width of the truck to see if you wont be running over snow at full plow angle. i do beleive the sd is 2 inches wider at full angle also
    http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/comparison.php?ca=20

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  18. mercer_me

You can put a steel cutting edge on the SD. The HT doesn't come with a cutting edge. Like the HD you have to pay extra for a cutting edge. I would think the extra 80lb would make it scrape better and with a steel cutting edge it would weigh more.

19. SPIDERinMA

SPIDERinMA Junior Member
    from MA

I put a Fisher HT on my 2008 Chevy Avalanche end of last year. This weekend was my first time using it. It worked better than expected for these past (2) storms. I really liked the specs on the HT and found it was exactly what I needed. I only intend to plow 3 driveways and my business lot (24 spots). The HT did it with ease. Also, my fisher installer included a steel cutting edge in the purchase. I just need to wear down the trip edge a little before I can install due to bolt patterns. I think that is a design flaw in my opinion but I am told it typical of Fisher plows.

See links below for additional info. I had a tough time finding info when I was looking last year. Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b-5wxbMH8g&feature=youtu.be

Pics here.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,125519.0.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  20. 2006Sierra1500

Yeah we love our HT.