1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

proper ballasting for a front mounted snow blower

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by weewilly, Feb 27, 2011.

1. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Hello Guys/Gals:
    I am in the process of purchasing a front mounted snow blower for my Husqvarna garden tractor 26Hp with hydrostatic transaxle.
    And I would appreciate advice/knowledge of the best weight locations.

Snow blower 250-300 lb electric lift (Bercomac) 44-48"(undecided which one at this time 100.00 difference 44 may be easier on tractor)

Available rear wheel weight 50 lb per side
    Tires 23x10.50x12 could be loaded guesstamation 30-50lb each
    The above should be easier on the frame/axel but will not take weight off the front end IMO

Weight box with150lb attaches to rear of tractor weight is behind rear axel may increase load on transaxle/frame may reduce front end weight with blower IMO.

other suggestions?

In your expert opinion or experience what will be the correct amount of weight and location?
    Thank You for your input
    William

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

go with the weight box. don't forget chains on the drive wheels.

3. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

P Morrissette
    Thank You for your reply
    Would you please explain why you would choose the weight box over tire weights/loading
    Sincerely
    William

4. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

The reason you want the wieght box
    is simply one of simplicity.

The transmission on your tractor will not
    survive having the tires loaded as it is fluid
    powered rather than gear drive and has to
    be able to slip to prevent damage.

The smaller wheel wieghts and the wieght
    box will be an excellent way to obtain traction
    with either blower.

You do want to invest in a set of tire chains
    as a matter of principal in any case.

IN our case our 12 horse power cub cadet
    used chains only with the single stage blower
    and had no problems with our driveway and
    its long incline.

Are you buying the motorised Bercomac for the UTV- ATV market?

What ever you buy spend the $30.00 in canadian Loonies on one of Clarences impeller kits
    to eliminate the plugged impellers

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  5. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Thank You Leon
    Are you buying the motorised Bercomac for the UTV- ATV market?

no the unit is powered by the Garden Tractors belt driven PTO

please expand on the below statement

What ever you buy spend the $30.00 in canadian Loonies on one of Clarences impeller kits to eliminate the plugged impellers

William

6. leon

leon Senior Member

7. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

personaly Id do the weight box too you can always add or remove weight that way Im not a huge fan of tire chains wile yes they help I always tore up my driveway with them plus they were a pain to install it was rare for me to have to use them I usualy just pushed as much as I could to get around the deep spot then pushed it into the yard but I had AG tires on the rear

8. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Thanks Leon & loudcav

Leon thanks for the link but; unfortunatly its dead, tried different spellings of engine with no luck.
    William

9. leon

leon Senior Member

snow blower

TRY this

clarences impeller kit

it works through google

smllengns.tripod.com

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  10. pmorrissette

With the weight box, you can adjust the amount of ballast needed through trial and error. Don't forget that your personal weight on the machine is right over the drive wheels (in most cases) and also helps with traction.

Generally speaking, your weight + whatever you put in the weight box needs to offset the weight of the blower. Don't worry about the frame of your machine, it can handle some weight off the back.

The chains will allow you to really drive through the snow without any slipping (unless you have "ag" or "agricultural" type tires), the blower will perform better if your forward speed is constant and the augers are packing a lot of snow into the impeller. If you have any slope to your driveway, you will really appreciate the chains.

When blowing, always keep your engine at maximum RPMs, and use a lower gear on your transmission.

When the blower is on the ground, your steering can be rendered pretty much useless unless you have enough counterweight in the back.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  11. weewilly

weewilly Junior Member

Thank you P morrissette
    you stated "When the blower is on the ground, your steering can be rendered pretty much useless unless you have enough counterweight in the back."
    Would you consider chains on the front wheels also (what about loaded tires on the front)?
    Thank You
    William

12. pmorrissette

No chains on the front wheels. You will have to experiment a bit to get used to the steering and get proper balance with the counterweight.