1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Proper ballast weight?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Lake Affected, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Lake Affected

Lake Affected Junior Member

I have a 2004 F-250 Superduty with an 8'2 Power V...do I need a specific amount of weight back there? I usually have 4-500lbs in bags of salt. Too much, too little or enough?
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

that should be perfect. center it over the axle or just behind.
  3. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Thats about what I run, And it works out good for me
  4. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

07 F-350 CC SB, No weight in the bed , no problems pushing. Truck weighs nearly 8800 with out the plow. Plenty heavy, I would think.
  5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Depends on your cab configuration.
  6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I run about 900 lbs to offset the weight of the plow......plows like a tank.
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would double or triple it. All the way back to the tailgate. Plowing will be much easier, and 2wd mostly.
  8. SnoPro Inc

SnoPro Inc Senior Member

Have an 8ft western straight blade on the front of a 97 250 pstroke. we have 1500lb's in the ass end. i plow most things in 2wd. Part of it is I get called when the other guys get stuck, just hope i dont get stuck :p
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I would add 400 lbs more
  10. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I carry around 1400 lbs including salt spreader and 50 lb bags of salt. I also do most of my plowing in 2wd w/ new tires.
    8-900lbs seems to be a good number.
  11. procutsnow

procutsnow Member

The weight needs to be behind the rear axle to act as ballast, if it's over the axle it's just weight.

I run 900# and as others have said it helps tremendously, 2wd most of the time and it rides better with the plow on and off. Good luck.
  12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

The old rule of thumb used to be to add at least the same amount of weight as the actual weight of your plow??? And the comments about it being all the way back behind the rear axle is correct. The actual weight of the truck has nothing to do with the weight distribution to the rear wheels and lots of trucks actually are almost helpless in 2 wheel drive with out the proper ballast. The arch in the rear springs seam to have alot to do with it, and if they set the back end of the truck way up in the air its almost certain it will have very poor traction....................... when you think about weight distribution and think about the amount of weight the engine and plow have down on the front end of the truck it is amazing they do as well as they do. If there is no ballast in the body, then the center of gravity is shifted way forward now, compared to where it was, without the plow hung out there ?????
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  13. snowbelt5

snowbelt5 Member

i have the same truck and that is definatley not enough wieght. espesically with the diesel. I usually add about 1200 lbs of brick in the back and works perfect. keeps good forward momentum for parking lots too when your pushing heavy snow.
  14. Lake Affected

Lake Affected Junior Member

Good info here, thanks guys.