1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

propane trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Sep 2, 2003.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I was wondering why some people run their trucks on propane? Most of the people I see are from Canada. Is it because propane is a lot cheaper than gas in Canada. Would you have an advantage over gas on steep terrian because of propane? I thought that propane gives alot less horsepower than gas?:salute:
  2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Cleaner burning. Many experiments are done using propane, hybrid electric, or natural gas. Its more for the environment than anything.

3. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I'm with him ^

Propane does yeild less power than traditional gasoline, but for a fleet, you might just want cleaner burning, slightly more reliable energy, propane is what people have come up with. :confused:

I like gas myself.
  4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Actually, propane does produce more power than gasoline. I don't want to find a reference to back that up at the moment, but it does. It has been discussed in this forum recently.

Not only does it burn clean for the environment, but, the inside of the motor stays nice and clean too. For fleet use, it is easier to govern the power the motor will put out, than it is with a gas motor. Governing helps reduce damages from drivers beating on the vehicles. In Canada, I would imagine it is due to the cost of propane being so much less than much of the US.

There are drawbacks, such as having such a large, heavy tank of compressed flamable gas on board, and where you can fill up that tank. You also cannot just take it to any shop if the motor needs repairs involving the fuel system, much like a diesel....

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'll back it up for you Chuck.Propane has a much higher BTU content by volume.One gallon of gas has approx 84000 BTU's,as compared to 114000 for propane.

The biggest problem with Propane is not on board storage,but transport,delivery and storage at the stations.Most of the newer tanks and vehicle systems are plently safe.It's at the station level it's a pain.Big storage tanks,pumps,training,special trucks,and insurance make it much harder to distribute.

Propane is still about half the price of gasoline up here.