1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Propane Torch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I just noticed the sponsor ad for "Red Dragon" torches. Does anyone use a propane torch for melting problem areas? Do you recommend it? What is the largest area you have used it on?
  2. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

Ive always wondered this as well.
  3. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Same....I had a spot last year I probably could have used one...

Plus there are just cool!
  4. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

A couple of years back after the Feb 1 Blizzard here in Chicago that took days to clean up we had a very special request from a huge client. They needed just under 1 mile of rail road spur track cleared of the snow and ice asap. The train company wouldn't do it as they didn't own the line, and it was the responsiblity of the owner of the spur track. The reason they needed the line cleared is they had multiple flatbed train cars coming in carrying a couple hundred million dollars worth of power generation units. It is for the local power company. They only had a small window of time to get them in there with the train, crane operators, labor needed to move them ect...and the storm had already delayed it.
    So we came up with the plan to run an end loader down the track to break through the snow for the initial passes. Then we were able to put a excavator on the tracks with the teeth narrowed and back drag the distance of the line to remove the majority of the snow and ice. From there we had guys walk the line wit back pack mounted propane torches and clear the rails. It worked awesome. It was the first time we had tried the torches, and have used them a few times since for "special" projects.
  5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

That sounded interesting!!!!!!