1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

propane conversion???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nextdoorlabor, Aug 19, 2005.

1. nextdoorlabor

nextdoorlabor Junior Member

hey everyone.. i read an article online today about converting engines to propane to run cleaner and more efficiently. i was wondering if any of you have your rigs running on propane and if so, have you ever had any problems plowing (due to the cold weather)? i'm looking into buying a mason dump to haul aggregate with in the summer and then slap a plow on for the winter but i wouldnt convert to propane if it wouldnt work well in the winter, even though the fuel savings would be nice in the summer. let me know what you think, thanks.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I've never heard of a complete propane conversion, but it is a popular thing (thanks to bully dog) to convert diesel's to run propane with diesel. It increases the burn in the engine, burns the diesel more completely and increases the power and fuel milage. Drawback is propane costs money too, as does the kit, and it increases the CHT and ET so exhaust systems are necessary and the cost of propane (plus the relativly high useage amount) can outweight the cost of the diesel fuel it saves.

Running a standard gas engine on straight propane is a major conversion. Propane does flow in the cold- many houses are heated with it in rural areas.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Propane conversions were somewhat more popular years ago here when gasoline was 50 cents a litre and propane was 30 cents.

Now gasoline is over a buck a litre (or about 4 bucks a gallon!) and propane is over 90 cents, its not nearly as attractive anymore.

I have also heard that propane powered vehicles take more fuel to operate (negating alot of the savings) and produce less power. However, I have no personal experience with propane vehicles other than when I was in the engine shop I recall rebuilding a 307 Olds motor that had been on propane since new in a TAXI. They told us the engine had 630k km's on it and was pulled due to a broken timing chain. If that is true, it is flat out amazing.