1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Proof you plowed or salted at that time?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 21, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Was thinking about this. As you know some places always want proof or say you weren't there at a certain time. I know this would work for a bank or maybe a place that had an ATM.But after your done serving the place you go in and use your bank card at the ATM ,this way you have a slip that shows date and time you were there.
  2. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

I'm pretty new to the biz but planning some expansion for next season and part of that is time stamped video logging in the machines for billing and damage reporting purposes. It's been discussed on here before I think.

That should be sufficient proof if a customer tries to weasel out of a payment and certainly enough for someone who may legitimately questioning if you were there. They might say the video is from a different day but there should be enough distinction in the video to convince a court.
  3. paponte

paponte Senior Member

My invoice is my proof. An invoice cannot be generated unless there is a driver time/material sheet submitted. We don't cheat people, and our invoices are our word. If you need more than that they can find someone else.
  4. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

^^^ Should not need more ^^^ In 20 years I have never been asked for more.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I should expand on this. I think it more or less as proof of the time you were there. As you know if your sued you better have good paper trail proving the times you were there. So it's more of a time stamp if you are asked by a lawyer/insurance agent.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

get a good camera
    I wouldnt waste my time tho....if the customer complains they can find someone else to plow and take pics
  7. KnowWhereBetter

KnowWhereBetter Junior Member

Proof showing you were there.

An easy (and free) way to do this, would be to use an Automatic Vehicle Location device. The good news is, that if you have an Android phone you can use our 'AndSnow Tracks' application (search on android market) to show your time stamped relative position and path.

The application sends your coordinates (and uploads pictures) to the server on demand, or at designated intervals. Registered phone locations and timestamps are viewable using Google maps at the following site: www.andsnow.com/tp

I hope this helps.
  8. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i have one account that the property owner lives out of town, they make me go in and get a managers signature on a time sheet. kind of like usm does. it is a pain in the ass to have to go back after they open and get it. most of the time we are long gone before anyone even shows up to work.
  9. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Had to do this when I subbed for a guy. That would work best if you're worried about court I would think. Like the idea with the Android, but not sure how I feel about my phone always knowing where I am. As to the original idea, not sure it would stand up anywhere, except to say that you did in fact walk up to the ATM with your bank card. It wouldn't prove that you serviced anything.
  10. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Wow - you're going to go through the trouble to go use an ATM to prove that you were at a property at a given time??

The best proof of where you were at any given time is to use a paper log book. Sure, anybody can make a log book, but the ones that stand up best in court are ones that have the whole season's worth of times in it. That proves that you aren't just making up one log to lie about where you were, or weren't, at any given time.
  11. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Agreed! We've never had an issue. I can only think of one time I was questioned, but they took my word that I had serviced (and I had, just had some refreeze in the 3 hours I was gone). We have paper records for anything we do, along with anytime I drive to the lot just to check on it. Shows conditions, times, and what we did.
  12. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

this is my first year for this contract, i guess the last contractor was hitting him pretty hard and over charging. tried talking him into seasonal so he wouldnt have to worry about it. per push this year, and next i get a seasonal 3 year deal :). i guess its worth going back for a signature.
  13. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

The most of an issue i have ever had was customers who kept track of the storms and compared their notes to my invoice. Even then it was no big deal as i try to keep thorough notes on the invoice anyway. If someone wants to further proof then i am not their guy, too much time and hassle IMO and it just is not worth it.
  14. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

While I don't necessarily put all the information on the invoice that I record, I do have it in my records for review. Also, the information I record helps to track expenses, weather trends, etc. for future decisions.
  15. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

detailed invoices is key. times at account. services performed. how much chemical, etc...
  16. greyst1

greyst1 Member
    from 44720

any apps for the iphone? I like that idea but couldn't find anything
  17. KnowWhereBetter

KnowWhereBetter Junior Member

AVL locator

An I-Phone release is planned, but I can't give specifics on the release date yet.

As far as being concern that your phone is 'always' sending data to the server, this isn't the case. The application can operate in 2 states: Active.. (send position when I click), or Passive... (send position at pre-defined interval). When the application is "closed" it will not send any information to the server.

I hope this helps.
  18. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

That is kinda cool, might be worth a look. Good for all android powered phones?
  19. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

any thoughts or plans on a blackberry ap?

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Take a photo with your cell phone or send them a e-mail from your phone.The e-mail will be dated and stamped..