1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pronovost vs Normand

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NickSnow&Mow, Dec 17, 2015.

1. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Just curious to see what brand of inverted blowers people on here prefer. Normand, pronovost, shoule? I ordered a pronovost 74" because it was the same price as a Normand but it seems to be a more streamlined design with the gearbox in the front. What do you think?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

No idea, haven't used the Pronovost yet.

Normand worked great, had no issues with it.

Based on hearsay, the Normand is superior to the Shoule. Apparently they plug faster than the Normands.

3. NickSnow&Mow

Good to know. From what I've heard the shoule is over priced. I guess the Normand and pronovost are too but what can you expect for a premium blower.

4. Mark Oomkes

The hearsay was from a friend who has used both.

5. mnguy

mnguy Member

We have a Normand but honestly for us we wouldn't buy another inverted. They have there place but for us we only used it 3 times last year and sat the rest of the time. For a $ 10,800 price tag prob wasn't the best business decision.

6. NickSnow&Mow

Pretty much pointless on commercial aren't they?

7. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Not trying to be too picky, but you guys are aware that the company is "S. Houle Fabrication", not "Shoule", right?

8. NickSnow&Mow

Goofy name no matter how you say it.

9. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Well, you could just call it "Houle". It's a family name just like Normand, Pronovost, Deere, Ford, Massey, Ferguson ......

10. Mark Oomkes

Not that it really matters, but they were sold as S Houle around here initially. Apparently that has the potential to sound like asshoule so the different variations came aboot.

11. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I spit out my pop when I read this. LOL!!!!! There was probably a zero % chance that S. Houle wasn't going to morph into Shoule over time. If I were them I'd probably just embrace it.

12. Mark Oomkes

That's what I was told by a man in the know.

13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

The company is Fabrication S Houle. Named after its founder Sylvain Houle.
    When you pronounced it in English it did not l sound very good, so it was introduced as shoule
    Pronounced shoe-Lee and that stuck.

14. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Actually there is already another company using the Houle name, they make manure handling equipment such as pumps and tank spreaders.

I've used my Normand inverted 92" on two events so far, both about 8" of wet snow. I found the blower was still leaving too much snow on the streets when lifting off the pavement. I'm starting to wish I purchased a push blower.

15. NickSnow&Mow

What do you mean by a pull blower? An inverted is a pull blower

16. CAT 245ME

push blower, read closer.

17. NickSnow&Mow

Sorry. If you bought abpushblower you would be leaving those piles infront of people's garage. There's no blower that doesn't leaves any piles. Using just a regular blower on residential absolutely sucks, trust me I've done it.

18. CAT 245ME

Yes, but leaving snow on a city street is a big :nono:. as well as a big fine as well.

When I purchased my blower last May, it was a demo unit located in Moncton, NB They could not get one single contractor interested in the inverted blower in the Moncton area, so I purchased it with a nice discount and full warranty.

The Deere dealer it came from even said to me that in their market, they see many major snow storms in a season and a push blower serves the purpose much better, I even had a contractor down there as well tell me the same.

If you could've seen Moncton at the end of March and seen how much snow they received in two months, you would be overwhelmed. You will see the odd 140hp tractor blowing drives.

In Fredericton, we don't get it as bad as Moncton. I'm about less than two hours away inland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NIxXg3s-8Q&feature=youtu.be

19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Provonost pxpl does both, no piles, you must of seen it in your research...
    http://youtu.be/H_UvCTY6SBc

20. NickSnow&Mow

Yes very cool idea. My dad actually thought of the idea before we even knew about the pxpl. Smallest one is an 86" unfortunately. There's a guy here in town with one pronovost inverted and one pxpl and he said he's selling the pxpl because he like the regular blower better. The pxpl is also 1/3 more and if you talk to neige he'll tell you the normal blowers better.