1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

promotional ideas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Robhollar, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I was wondering on what you guys might be doing to advertise your bussness. Im new to being out on my own and i need to get the word out. I have a tree service and all of our work is by word of mouth and we stay busy all the time. But the snow plowing bussness is coming slow due to my late start this year. And i know its too late to pick up much work this year and im looking towards next year bussness. Ive got some ideas but im not sure if they are lame and i was testing the waters from you guys.....Rob
  2. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

First off, you're in the wrong forum. Try the "Elements of Business" category. Next...
    Give away trade secrets?!? You must be kidding!;)
    I would try a banner ad in your local paper. Something eye-catching and to the point. Oops...I noticed you're from Cleveland. If you're in a heavily populated area then try advert sing in a medium that targets your area. I live in a very rural area and got a lukewarm response from a newspaper ad. Plus got aloft of calls from areas I don't serve. The newest thing I saw was a guy went to a print shop and had a bunch of signs made up. They were campaign sized and he plastered them on every telephone pole in town. Problem with that is they aren't cheap. Also your competition may be inclined to tear them down. Tell us what you thought was "lame". You'll be surprised what works and what doesn't. I know I was!:p
  3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I want to concentrate my service area so i was thinking of getting refridge magnets printed up. I would like to goto a flat rate system for being on the "list" and for by the call. Most drives around here are about the same so that might not be to bad. I have 3 good sized new housing developments within a 5 min drive for me and thats my target area. I was going to get the magnets printed up and send my 4 boys out with them to stick on their doors. I was going to put the prices rite on the mag. I dont know , Lame? Or just a bad idea?....Rob
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

You can buy sheets of blank magnetic business cards and print the on your home computer. That would save you a bundle. With todays technology you can do all your printing and make it look professional at home. Handing out business cards and word of mouth is by far the cheapest form of advertising. This method has kept us busy for years. We have found no need to do expensive advertising. Network through friends, acquaintances and family.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I was very surprised on how cheep these custom magnets are. 50 bucks for 250 magnets. I was looking for a snow plow shape. And its still not a bad price...Rob
  6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

just hit the pavement...becareful for what you wish for...taking on too many accounts in a short period of time can be crazy.

grow slow, ok.

7. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Since you are already in a service business, I would think that the business would logiclly come from your current customers. Surely, some of them need snow removal.
    Adding "Snow Removal" to your staionary should drum up some business from these customers.
  8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I do have a full time job along with the tree service. The trees takes us over a 3 county area, and not to many of the are in the area that i want to serve. Since i do have a full time i need to make the most of my time hence concentrating on these developments. A couple times a season I take over a buddy of mine plow business, ive been doing this for 3 years now. and he has 60 - 70 residential and 5 commercial lots. So Im aware on what im in for. I do have a couple of guys in place to help me out if we get buried or a break down. Actually ive been thinking of teaching the wife how to run a truck and buy a 2nd one this summer. Im thinking of taking on 30 to 40 residential drives. Theres a church that im going to go after too. Basically Im looking for 4-5 hours of work each event.
  9. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Use your word processor and cook up a brochure. Include a picture of your truck, you, etc. Discuss why they should hire you.

Photocopy them at a Kinkos or wherever on bright paper. Place this epistle in the newspaper box (not the mailbox the USPS can fine you and assess the cost of postage for all your flyers.)

Be patient and focus on one or two of the nighborhoods. Price fairly and do a good job. Go back and fix the grass in April, and tell folks you will in your ad.

Save your money on magnets and pens until you have a customer base.
  10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Word of mouth.:nod: I've got all the accounts I need because if that.:waving:
  11. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

stand naked in the snow behind a big sign that advertises your services...you should get a few customers before the cops arrive!!