1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Promoting a product & getting kicked out

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by Grn Mtn, Oct 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Okay I can see how you don't want someone generating a profit off your free bulletin board, but what about promoting someone elses product, which as an exchange of ideas, helps us run our business' better?

Example, the guy who wants a BackRack, and someone else replied where to get one. Does the guy who replied get in trouble?

Or I was reading in a magazine about a new product I thought was neat, and a bunch of us go and buy it. Am I in trouble?

I've purchased stuff from multiple sponsors and I let them know how I found them, this in turn, should keep the sponsors sponsoring.

I've been flamed twice now by the Mods for offering help in advertising and creating a tool for putting in snow markers. Both of which, yes I asked for a nominal fee, to cover costs. But by no means am I a business for such. Just some guy with an idea that definitely would help others. Since I've always seem to be doing things against the grain I'm sure I'll accidentally break a rule again and bam, I'm barred. That would really suck since I'm always on this addicting site. So for guys like me, please put some sort of non-dealer but got something to offer forum in.

Thank You, Roald

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Dont hold your breath.
    Todd

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

The keywords here are selling and/or promoting a product(s) you have vested interest in or own. If that doesn't apply to you, then you nor anyone else has anything to worry about.

As for the second part. You were not flamed. You were warned/advised of a rule violation in private. Which is standard procedure here at Plowsite. Now if you heed that warning then you have nothing to worry about. Sean just issued this warning on this particular issue ahead of time as a preventative measure and as a reminder of the rules already stated.
    You are considered a dealer if you offer your services/products(even free samples) for monetary gain-- profit or not. We can't audit who is making a profit or not making a profit

4. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Ok so where is the line?

I am by NO MEANS trying to start a conflict of anything of any sort of trouble but I do have some questions.I think this is going to be a slippery slope but here it goes.I would think that there is a HUGE difference between say Fisher,Western,Meyers Blizzard----ect,ect whatever plow or product company trying to sell you something when they post back and say "yes we have this part it is company xyz part number and we can ship it to you today for $$$$$,thank you the xyz brand company".Now to say that if I built something that everyone can use to help themselves with say,-- a snowshovel thats heated with batteries and folds to the size of a pocket knife but It cost's me x amount of money to build it,and I need just enough money to cover my costs with no profit is the same thing?.Again please do not think that I am trying to start trouble or bash or flame or anything of the sort I just think we can work something out here.I was and am understanding of the reasoning that these websites cost some serious coin to operate,but I also think that there can be something beneficial worked out for everyone here.Keep up the good work and have a safe one.

5. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You must become a sponsor to advertise/promote a product you own and/or have vested interest in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.