1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

project truck 99 ranger

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 91AK250, Feb 22, 2013.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

so this truck has been owned by the company i work for since it was new. its been our shop truck with a ladder rack on it. the last few years they decided to kinda let it go into disrepair. 4x4 stopped working a few weeks ago and that was the last straw. we have another '04 ranger which is now our shop truck so this one was going to be sold. i went ahead and bought it knowing the problems it had but i also knew it had some spendy work done over the years.

shes a '99 ford ranger xlt sport 4.0 auto 4x4 4door with 147k miles on her.

the issues as of the day i bought it
    1 no 4x4
    2 brakes were GONE
    3 tires are BALD
    4 needs to be cleaned up, new windshield..ect

so i've had it a few days and already got alot done.

fixed the 4x4 by permanently locking the hubs
    bought new brakes all around and did the front will be doing the rear tomorrow
    oil chagne
    new air filter

should be a fun little project and keep me busy in the evenings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Don't mind me asking, what did you pay for that?

3. 91AK250

not much, a grand.

got the rear brakes done, my first time ever doing drums..that sucked but hey they work! lol

took her for a little road test and filled it up, man she drives great now with the 4x4 working and all 4 brakes working correctly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Nice little truck, are you planning on leaving the boss decal's on the truck ?

5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Please tell me you're going to put a plow on it. That would be a good truck for lighter storms and for clean ups.

6. 91AK250

no all the decals will be coming off an she will be cleaned up then sell it.

we do have a plow on our 2004 ranger "new" shop truck..works pretty well.

7. RJ lindblom

I am looking for something to replace my 90 F150. The engine is on its way out. Everything else works like the 4 wheeled drive and brakes. A ranger, S10 or Jeep would be a good route to take.

That will clean up and be a sharp pickup.

8. 91AK250

i really like these little rangers, i'd like to have a 05-10 but other things i'd rather spend money on.

i think i may spring for new drums also, i think these are past there usage. i adjusted the shoes out as far as i could and still get the drum over it(has a lip where its not worn down) and they wont lock up when in 2wd only the front will.

decided to cheap out on the tires and use some i already have. saving $600 out of pocket. i have some firestone studded tires i'll be putting on 94 explorer saw blade wheels. i'll prolly pull the studs to make them a year round tire.

took it out for another drive tonight, found a slight miss if you get on it. i'm going to pull a plug or two and see what they look like. i have a sneaking suspicion they are factory. i'll do plugs if they look like they need it at all.

got all the bed decals off it tonight...what a pain in the butt! thank got for the rubber wheels you put in the drill because otherwise it would take days. hood and doors are next.

before
    [​IMG]

after(she still needs a bath, clay bar and waxing)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Nice little project. My Chevy project is finally picking up speed.

10. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Nice little truck to flip. Try using a hot pressure washer to remove the decals. We do a lot of it in our mobile truck washing business and that entire truck would have taken less than 30 minutes.

11. 91AK250

the eraser wheels work really well. i have every decal except the hood left now.

bought a new 850 CCA duracell battery from my work, then had the extra firestone tires i had mounted on old explorer wheels. holy crap the old tires were balloons! it drives SO much better now on our ice/snow covered roads with some decent tires.

the new windshield is going in tomorrow. got a deal of $175 that i'm pretty happy with.

the old tires and this was the best one
    [​IMG]

the new used tires
    [​IMG]

the old battery, had a date of 3/04 on it..it was time. plus look at all the corrosion. i still gotta get a pic of the new battery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 91AK250

pic of the new battery
    [​IMG]

new windshield tonight
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Nice ranger and you need get to ford dealership for Cruise Control RECALL!!!

4.0L OHV?

14. 91AK250

i have a exrta recall harness i'll throw on it.

yes 4.0 OHV with the 5 speed auto and 3:73s. little truck is quick!

15. RJ lindblom

9 years out of a battery? In a cold environment? That is impressive.

16. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice little truck for $1,000 + the money you got into the parts. I agree with RJ - 9 years out of the factory battery is great!

17. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Nice little project there. I'd say you've got a steal for a grand

18. RJ lindblom

I wish I could find a project like that for a grand. I have a list of things to get done before spring.

19. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I wonder... Can you put a 6ft .75 yard stainless spreader in the back of that thing (575LB) and a load of salt roughly (1500lb) with upgraded suspension or the use of airbags without risking frame damage? I would run a steel 6.9 MM1/2 with it too.

Edit: if it was a single cab full box.

20. 91AK250

it wasnt a factory battery, it was marked 9/2004 lol still not bad considering.

i think you could load a ranger up pretty good. this one has been overloaded more times then i can count. poor thing had 3,200lbs bags of sand for our sand blasting unit in it last summer.

i really had to get rid of thise little thing! but i gotta to pay off bills. have $1,543 invested in it so far including the cost of the truck. i pretty much have it sold to a friend just waiting for her husband to get into town and check it out for himself. i've sold them 3 of my old trucks haha we agree'd on the price of $5,500 so i hopefully can pay some debt off and the new dentist bills i'll have since i had to have a tooth pulled and a implant done.

i've put alittle over 600 miles on the thing since buying it and fixing it up. its ALOT of fun to drive with the 4:10 gears and 5 speed auto tranny. plus around town/some highway i got 17.3MPG.

last week i used to to move a family friend over 120 miles round trip with my little trailer. had the bed full of couches and a table. bed/box spring and about 20 boxes plus another table and chairs on the trailer. had a 30-50mph head/side wind going out there and back but still got 14.5 mpg towing in the wind. very happy with that.

i'll get some high res pics before shes sold to show how well she cleaned up. gotta wait to wash it till it cools back down outside and the roads freeze.
    [​IMG]

i also repainted the front bumper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]