1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Project snow fighter F-350

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mackman, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I was thinking of getting out of snow work but it looks like im staying in. On that note im doing a little work on my F-350 to make it better. I will be adding a alum. faltbed, fullsize light bar, air bags, painting the truck white ( my company color). Also painting/undercoating the whole frame/body. Here are some pics. I started today. Got the pick-up body off.

[​IMG]

The bed bolts would not come out easy. We kept on breaking them torx shockets. So we were welding a bolt on the head of the nut and taking them out with an air gun and a socket.
    [​IMG]

More pics to follow.

2. Mackman

from S.E. PA

Also the toolbox, lights ,backrack and body will be for sale. Pick-up only. Let me know.

3. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

The truck looked great before but should be very nice when you get done. Keep us updated! I love projects! LOL!

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Are you putting a full size flat bed on there or one specifically for an SRW?

5. Mackman

from S.E. PA

One for a SRW. Just called to get prices. 3,100 for the bed cash and carry. The bed is going to be a EBY. www.mheby.com

6. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

I've seen aluminum beds for sale as low as $1,900. IMO $3,100 cash and carry sounds high for a SRW. Good luck on the build and keep the pics comin.

7. Mackman

from S.E. PA

I was looking at Martin Weldings Faltbeds. They are 1950 cash and carry. But once you upgrade the floor to 3/16 and add a couple options there bed is only about 350 bucks cheaper then EBY. Plus eby is 45min away and Martin welding is 3.5 hours.

Plus i like the looks of the EBY bed the best.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  8. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

They do make a nice body. Upgrades = $$$. Keep the pics rollin.

9. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I am close to martins. I would like to see how you like the eby.

10. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Truck looks good now. I am looking forward to seeing it when its done! I find projects like this help pass the summer.

11. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Looks like a nice truck!

12. Mackman

from S.E. PA

I didnt get too much done today. I just took the steps off, lights under door, window visors and sprayed the one side of the frame rail too see what it looks like. I really like this rubber undercoating stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was just woundering how did you get all that factory gunk off the fram rails to you can sand it down to paint?

14. Mackman

from S.E. PA

That gunk is a big time PITA. I used engine degreaser and a 3,100 PSI pressure washer with hot water. It worked good. Then on the rusted spots im just going to sand. Im lucky the truck has very little rust on it.

15. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

Wow always loved your truck, I am sure it will look great this way also.

You should really POR-15 the undercarriage. POR kicks rubberized undercoatings a** any day of the week.

I am sure there are alot of people who will confirm the quality of the POR.

Heres a link to the POR
    http://www.por15.com/

Heres a link from when Brad redid his F550 Flatbed, He will certainly tell anyone that POR is a great product.
    http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110556

Are you going for a hoist on the aluminum flatbed or just leaving it stationary?

16. Mackman

from S.E. PA

do you spray that POR15 on or just brush it??

17. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

That will be one sharp truck when you are done ! I have a steel flat bed and just love it ! keep the pic's comming !!!

18. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

Id use the spray that turns rust back to metal after you sand it

19. RDWheeler

RDWheeler Junior Member

Gotta agree with the POR15, I had a 2000 f-250sd and the frame was in tough shape... A few cans of POR15 and a paint brush and it turned out great, and lasted till the truck went down the road a few years later! Awesome project.

Ryan @
    WWW.BranchOutShrub.com

20. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

WOW that was one heck of a project! Great turnout though!