1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Project farm plow truck.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Holland, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Poke some fun guys! Shake your head, have some laughs, whatever you want.. This is a budget build at its best! As long as she has heat and wipers, we'll be happy! Enjoy!

Putting a truck together for my dad to use at the farm. Wont ever leave the property. He retired from farming a few years back and auctioned off most of the equiptment. So we dont have the equiptment sitting around like we used to. So it currently takes him over two hrs to plow out the farm with an open station tractor. We had this old farm truck sitting in the weeds for years. Been looking around for a cheap plow to throw on it for him and i found one the other day. Truck had not started in at least 5 years, went back with 5gal of gas and a new battery. Within 10 min it was running. Changed the oil and it runs as good as the day we parked it.

I'll update with some more pictures as I go. Only into it about $60 and 5 hrs so far. (using up parts I had sitting around, so i wont figure them into the price!)

Masked off the top and gave the bottom a 10 dollar paint job. This aint a beauty contest!
    [​IMG]

Beats sitting out in the cold, he should like this alot better! haha
    [​IMG]

My $45 exhaust job. Free mufflers i had laying around, couple sticks of pipe,a couple clamps and one new donut. Good enough for this truck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Put on a used set of tires off the duramax. Shes ready for a plow!

[​IMG]

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks pretty solid other than the bed see if you can find a bed for it. Im jealous.

4. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Back when i was younger we were gonna fix it up as my first vehicle. Wish i would've! (it was in a bit better shape 10 yrs ago) She was even packin some heat under the hood back in the day! :laughing: Shes a gasser now tho, converted before we originally bought it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Man those old trucks are awesome! I love them steel in the dash, the big round gauge clusters, and the fact you only need a basic set of standard wrenched, a cheap screwdriver set and a jack and you can take the whole truck apart. Those things were built to work too which it seems nowadays trucks are built to break. All she needs is a Fisher out front!

6. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Picking up the plow tonight! Buddy of mine who own a body shop thinks he has a set of doors and cab corners for it. He's trying to talk me into fixing it up! I really dont want to turn this into a restoration! haha

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

welcome to the club... doesnt look like a farm truck to me. looks like a reliable easy to wrok on plow truck!

[​IMG]

8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Man i thought i'd catch he!! for even touching this old girl. Looks like i've got alot of support for the project! :D

9. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

the third truck from the left in my photo is an 83 flatbed former diesel now gas. it has plowed every snow in the state of Iowa for the last 8 years. all commercial properties. when something works, it works, and old chevys work. you dont need 50k wrapped up in something to push snow with.

10. Holland

Holland Senior Member

O i agree. The older stuff works just fine. Heck even our tractors got the job done. I just want to get him out of the cold. He's ridden around with me plowing with my truck and when i plow for the township, but he has never plowed with a truck himself!

The only other truck on the farm is his 04 SS and i dont think that would handle a plow too well!! haha

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

It's nice to see another old 73-87 GM being brought back to life, they are worth rebuilding and extremely dependable. When finished nicely they get lots of attention, I often have guy's stopping in home too see what it would take to buy mine.

I remember awhile back a Dodge dealer had a nice 86 K10 long box advertised as "Last of the real 4x4's". And it's true.

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking truck. I also think it would be worth doing a total restoration. What year is it? What are you putting on it for a plow?

13. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Question, not busting any balls here but a serious question: What makes a vehicle like that worth doing a total restoration? Undercarriage pic shows everything rusted and some serious rot, interior is all rotted, half of the sheet metal panels need to be replaced, and the other half don't have paint that could be restored.

Every day I drive my 1980 Buick that I love, and I often think that if I came into a bunch of money (read: won the lottery) I'd want to fully restore it...but then I think about it and wonder which (if any) parts would be original when it's done -- and it's in better condition than that truck.

Anyway, OP, cool project. I'd do exactly the same thing with it, or I'd repair it until it was roadworthy and drive it.

14. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Most important for me is having a solid frame to start with, a truck this old will often need body panels replaced but thanks to the aftermarket and southern rust free original body parts, anything is possible. If you can do most of the work yourself and not pay somebody to do it for you means big savings. Also salvage yards are your friend, and craigslist can be a big help on finding parts for a low price.

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

From what I saw from the poor quality picture, the frame didn't look that bad. I have scene a lot worse frames than that and people fix them. The interior looked pretty good to me besides the dash was cracked but, that happens to a lot of those old trucks. You can buy a new panels for it. Maybe not do a complete restoration but, at least get it road worthy and looking decent.

16. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

Everything is going together well! Good luck! Thumbs Up

17. Squires

Squires Senior Member

That truck is in better shape as is than most of the plow trucks i see in my area currently.
    I should get some pictures of what i have seen plowing gas stations and other parking lots around here.
    More rust and fiberglass than sheet metal. Same truck i watched the tailgate fall off as the bed was wagging so badly, looked cracked off in the middle but i think it was just the cab and bed mounts causing that illusion. To note, this was not a lot truck at one location, i have seen it all over town.
    As for the truck, it is a 3/4 8 lug, probably a 60 front, 14 full float rear? frame looks good as mentioned just some surface rust, but not scaly looking.
    LMC truck and your set

18. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Its far from deserving a total restoration! haha Its an 82. Bought a c8 meyers conventional mount last night for it. Its pretty rough but for the money its worth sticking a little time into. If it was going any further than the end of the driveway i wouldnt have brought it home tho!

Thanks! I dont know if she'll be back on the road or not, but dad did take it a couple of farms over to run grain cart the other day haha. guess he wanted to take the old girl for a cruise!

Frame actually is in pretty good shape. Especially when you consider what its been through its life. Lots of time to rot out and its solid. Interior is so-so. Panel wise i dont think there is a panel on it with out rust... Not saying its NOT restorable, just not what im after.

Na she was a 6.2 originally so its pretty light in the axle department! 14 rear semi float, 44 front.

19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Looks like it will serve it's purpose. Heat and wiper's! Keep Dad warm and dry. Throw some body parts on it and paint and he could use it for a daily driver. My Dad never cared what it looked like. As long as it started and plowed with heat and back up lights. He never even open a can of car wax. I took care of his trucks.

20. Holland

Holland Senior Member

o he takes care of his stuff. thats no problem. He was looking this old girl over and greasing everything when we had it at work on the lift. Its just an old beater so we arent doing anything special to it.

Got the plow mounted today. (C-8 Meyers, E47pump) Pump took a bit to get going but it seems fine other than it needs a new "A" valve.