1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Project F-Superduty...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by weareweird69, Apr 2, 2013.

1. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Im trying to do this from my phone. Should be interesting. Haha

I picked up a 1995 F-Superduty in January.

[​IMG]

I decided I'm going to make it a 4x4. Which has probed harder than anticipated.

I picked up a Dana 60 front axle with the bolt on calipers. But wait. That's 8 lug....

Got that covered.

Found a guy selling these...

[​IMG]

Yup. 8 to 10 lug adapters!

So now the problem is the parking brake. Its on the transmission. Its nearly impossible to get the adapter for a 1356 or 4407 case to accept the parking brake.

So I found a New Process 205. High angle drive line makes a drive line brake for the NP205. That's going to solve that problem.

So now it'll be 4x4. Just have some loose ends to tie up.

New problem is the bed is 14 feet long! And its flat. Haha.

Sold the bed this week. I need to get it off the truck yet.

I found a 1 year old hydraulic pump for 300 bucks and a 9' long dump bed in pretty good shape for 1000.

[​IMG]

So I've got almost all the pieces to make it a 4x4 dump.

I hate tan interiors. So I managed to find a full grey interior with the nice 40-20-40 seats.

Needless to say. Its going to be a hell of a truck!

I was going to sell my 96 F350. But I may keep it now. I would need a plow for this truck too. At least 9''6"

2. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Sweet truck and build. I always liked your threads, you pay a lot of attention to small details.

3. weareweird69

Thanks. I am slightly ocd about my vehicles lol

I am hoping to have it done by winter

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

nice truck some one has already done a 4x4 convertion on a 550 on another site they said they would never do it again cheaper to buy already with 4wd on it. but good luck with the project.

5. tyler886

tyler886 Member
    from RI

You plan on chopping the frame and shortening the wheelbase or putting tool storage between the cab and bed?

-Tyler

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I could see it being easier to buy a superduty F550 in 4wd then to convert a 2wd one. But if you find where to buy an obs 4x4 F550 you let me know and I'll buy it. It's tough enough to find an obs F450 that's 4x4 and those were actually produced, just in really small numbers.

7. Drew2010

Drew2010 Senior Member

No such thing as an OBS F550, and I am 99% sure Ford never made an F-Superduty 4x4, all were done by conversion companies.

8. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

sweet project!

9. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Clean looking truck! Keep the pics coming!

10. weareweird69

As of right now. The money invested wouldn't buy me a 4x4 F-Superduty. They are 10-13000 when they show up for sale.

Another thing is. Whatever I'd buy. Isn't up to my standards lol. So I'd have to screw with it anyway. Just for the record. I picked up this truck for 1000 bucks. New tires and a new transmission. Couldn't pass that up.

As for the frame. Yeah. I'm going to shorten the wheel base. Its super long. I can take 6-10" off the rear if need be as well.

They were All conversions by companies like marmon Herrington, Quigley, and Tulsa Truck. So finding parts is a pain. But I managed. This was the heaviest truck Ford made before getting into big CDL trucks. 15,000 gvwr.

11. weareweird69

I enjoy projects like this. So its a hobby I suppose. But yeah. I couldn't find a 4x4 F-superduty with a dump and a PSD and auto anywhere. One showed up after I hot this for 14,500. It sold in 2 days. 4x4 F350 dumps sell for the same money. So I'll build one that's perfect for the cost of a junk dump if I were to buy one for tyr money invested :). Haha

12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I was getting at in my post when the suggestion was made that he should have just bought a 4wd one to start with.

I'm curious to see how it turns out, if it's half as good as your 95 it'll still be awesome.

O yeah, for $1k :gunsfiring:

13. weareweird69

Haha. This is a money depending project. So if the money slows down. So will this project haha

14. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

How is your silver truck? Any updates with that one?

15. weareweird69

Took the stacks off in favor of a 5" exhaust and its getting 3:73 gears next week and all new bearings in the rear axle. Picked up a levelling kit. But idk when that will make it on.

16. weareweird69

[​IMG]

There is a crappy cell phone photo. Haha. 84 hours a week doesn't leave much time for anything.

17. durafish

from 02919

so nice! is the body and paint original?

18. weareweird69

On the Silver truck? Just the drivers side. Had a run in with 3 deer on the passenger side 3 different times!

The F-Superduty is all original as far as I can tell. Well. For now. Haha.

19. durafish

from 02919

I was talking about the silver truck. That's clean, I love those old ones, new Ford's not so much.

20. weareweird69

I'm hoping it turns out good. Right now its just a pile of parts lol

Yeah. Couldn't go wrong for a grand. It didn't run or stop. Needed an oil change. New fuel lines. A brake line and some cleaning of some sensors. I had to change the rear calipers since the bleeders snapped off. I'm glad I bought a snap on mg725 impact to get the lug nuts off. Then I swung my life away with a 20lb sledge trying to get the inner duals off. Wow were they on there.

I picked up a set of 2 year old batteries out of a wrecked powerstroke for 150 bucks. Diehard p-2 batteries even.

Truck does NOT like cold weather. But I blame the oil. When I changed it. It was like someone poured straight 90 weight in when it was 40* out. It wasn't but it was really really bad. Apparently the guy changed the injectors and never changed the oil. So the fuel and oil mixture coagulated and turned into goop. I'm still working on getting that all out. I picked up 10 gallons of Castro 15-40 for 100 bucks to aide in that. Just going to have to change the oil a bunch of timea and keep adding seafoam to clean out the oil passages and the high pressure oil system. If its 45* out. It'll fire right up. But spins really fast. Which means it isn't getting full oil pressure. When I get the oil cleaned up and it still does it. I'll need to check HPO pressure and make sure the HPOP is making the pressure needed to fire.

I've spent too much time researching these trucks. Lol

The previous owner had it 2-3 years and could never get it running. Said he lost motivation. I had it a week and had everything fixed. I forgot it had a bad valve cover harness. Which I had spares so that was simple. That explained the miss. The nasty oil explained the running issue. It wouldn't stop and that was a brake line broke. It wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. Had the transmission out and gone thru. It was brand new. So new seals and a shift kit went in it and some small updates. Still screwed up shifting. Finally got a code from it. Bad VSS in the rear end. 36 bucks. Shifts fine now lol

Got all the lights in the bed for free from a friend and fixed the tail lights and the unplugged cab light which was a pain in the butt to fish out of the cab!

Now I need to get the flatbed off the truck. Without my tractor since the dump bed is occupying the trailer.... I don't want to take it off until the flatbed is off and gone due to lack of cribbing. Haha

So we will see what happens here.

The plans for the exterior are a new fender and door on the passenger side. They are peeled open. Chevy towing mirrors because these mirrors SUCK to use. They will be power and heated. Aiding in seeing around the 8' wide dump bed. Smoked headlights and cab lights. Then a full royal metallic blue paint job like my 96. Painting the wheels Ford Grey more than likely. Also a chrome grille and headlight buckets. Going to put power windows and locks in it as well as a tilt column and a 05-07 Super Duty steering wheel with radio controls and cruise. Oh. This will probably get Climate Control like my 95 as well. Since I'm insane haha