1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

progressive slide switch......what does it do

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ACA L&L, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

so for example on a sirenet, 7 switch switch box with a slide switch on it..........what is the slide switches job? i get the switches but not the slide thing, is it for increasing amperage....? thanks.

trying to hook up 6 strobes, a light bar and or some led lights on tailgate like an ambulance possibly instead of and or rear/front strobes.....i have a stobe kit, just trying to do this switch box where it all can be controlled from one unit
  2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

From my uderstanding the slide switch is to have one switch to turn on all of your switchs, instead of fliping each one. Kinda like a pursuit mode! Hope this may help, that's if im correct.
  3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I have a whelen push button switch box in my truck, with a three position progressive slide switch as well. Basically the push buttons are for my reverse lights, spotlight, map light, and a few other things. The slide switch controls my ambers, position one I have set up to run rear only, position two runs rear and grille, then position three is all ambers. This switch does nothing other than let you essentially "program" a few different light options, if that makes sense.
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

it helps, the slider switch looks to have 3 selections........thats what confused me, hey would you know if i was to order a light bar with the cig lighter connector and the magnetic mount, and then at some point decided to mount it manually, if i was to expose the wires and hard wire it to the switch box, those wires would be good, the ones that i spliced into right......sounds stupid but better safe than sorry.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

That's correct, unless it's a program-able. Usually the first position to the left is off, first click turns on outlet A, next click turns on outlet A and B, next click turns on A, B, and C.
  6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

thanks guys..........if you have a lightbar and strobes with diffrent patterns, do you just designate one of the switches as the the one that changes light patters for it......if you have 4 strobes a lightbar, and some led surface mounts, to change the pattern you would do what withat switch box? or would i need a diffrent kind of switchbox?
  7. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

in my patrol car:

Position 1 Back Of bar only
    Position 2 Full Bar
    Position 3 Full Bar Alley/Takedowns Flash as well
  8. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Yes that would work also, but the other way you could do it is: buy a add on cigg lighter plug($5-6) and wire that to a switch then you can still plug it in and have it kinda have it hardwired! If that makes sence.