1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Programming key fobs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 86CrewcabK30, Feb 15, 2008.

1. 86CrewcabK30

86CrewcabK30 Junior Member
    from iowa

I just bought a 06 HD2500 and it didn't have the key fobs with it. I have one left over from my 02 HD2500. Does anyone know if it will work on the newer truck and if so how to program it? Also does anyone know if they put a factory remote start on these and how to tell? Its an LT with pretty much everything else. If not I want to have one installed, but if there is already a factory one there I might try to just get new remotes. I can't believe how much I miss being able to lock/unlock with a remote! Thanks in advance.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

you can do the generic programming but if you have an LT/SLT with memory seats, radio, mirrors etc that part wont' work. To be done correctly they need to be done with a tech2 at the dealer. The old fob should work. Also, SOL on the factory remote start.
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If you find the fob won't work out for you on the newer truck or you go for the aftermarket remote start I might be interested in picking it up from you for my 2000 2500 LT. I too an fully loaded but no fob since the prior owner had an aftermarket system installed...and then removed by the dealer.
  4. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

If you call up any GM parts or service counter, and give them your vin# they will be able to give you all the options that were on that vehicle. If you look on Ebay you should be able to find out the years the key fobs are good through. You should also be able to do a search to find instructions on how to program the remotes. Hope this helps
  5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

As I stated before, if you have an LT/SLT (which i think you stated you do) you CANNOT program these remotes to work in their full capacity without a Tech2. They will work for the doors and that's it. The seats, mirrors, radio, etc memory will NOT work. I've been down this road when I lost one of my remotes.
  6. 86CrewcabK30

from iowa

Thanks for the quick responses! Does anyone have instructions on how to do the generic programming for the door locks? That would help until I get it in for the remote start.
  7. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

If I remember correctly, don't hold it against me if it doesn't work!

1. whle sitting in the truck with the door shut hold lock and unlock down together until you hear the beep.

2. key in ignition and turn to run (but it could be acc.)

3 press and hold lock (could be unlock)

I think that's it. I will look around to make sure i'm right.
  8. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

All transmitters which are to be recognized by the PDM must be programmed in a single programming sequence. When using this program method, all previously programmed transmitters will be erased upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter.

The order in which the transmitters are programmed will determine its numbering position within the PDM memory. The first transmitter programmed will be transmitter #1, and the second transmitter programmed will be transmitter #2. The number stamped on the transmitter case is for reference only; #2 can be programmed as #1, or vice versa. Additional unnumbered transmitters are also available.

Close all the vehicle doors.
    Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
    Press and hold the door unlock switch.
    While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
    Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    Repeat the previous step to program up to 4 transmitters.
    Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.
    Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

***This is the method i tried to use when ilost my fob and had to get another. It says that the memory will work BUT IT DOESN'T FYI.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  9. 86CrewcabK30

from iowa

It doesn't like the instructions guys! Thanks anyway!! I have an appointment for a remote start/keyless entry system to be put in. What other functions would the factory remote have controlled? You mentioned seats, mirrors etc...? Thanks for the help!