1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

professional ice help.....

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gkp, Jan 7, 2009.

1. gkp

gkp Member

just picked up an account today at harbor freight, only problem is the last guy has yet to do the walks all year so there is about 2 inches of solid ice, I have a bobcat and 2 trucks and tons of salt. i was thinking of salting the crap out of them and letting them sit for a couple hours then hitting them with the bobcat. Any advice or other suggestions from you guys would greatly be appreciated.

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Ya need warmer temps and sun. Pretty cold tonight, looks like were heading into a deep freeze next week. Looks like thursday friday saturday will be your window, then temps gonna drop.

I would salt the piss out of em, let the sun get on for a couple hours then start scraping. Get up what ya can, then pound it again with salt, and let it set again. Repeat till you get it clean.
    Cal will work better but if ya have alot of walks it could cost ya a small fortune.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Don't bother with the salt. though it would seem like an economically way to go, it wouldn't work very well. With salt, it needs the traffic to break it up, spread it, and shift the ice as it softens. Just get some bags of calcium chloride, a Cla-mag mix, or something of the sort. Something that is going to be hotter on the ice, but most of all, this stuff is a much finer particle and spreads better for more efficient melting power. This stuff will be slush in no time. Clear it off, hit it again...You'll get on top of it...

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Go inside harbor frieght and buy one of those propane torch things you hook up to a BBQ tank.....your very own snow dragon....LOL.

Seriously though the cal or mag cal blend would be your best bet, too much chance for damage with the skidsteer.

5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Cal will work better for sure, but dont think for a second that a sprinkling is going to "burn off" several inches of ice.
    You need to lay it on very thick, scrape and repeat. One small pellet is only going to do so much before it dilutes out and goes Bye Bye or freezes right back up.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

contact your local bobcat dealer and try to rent their ice scraper...that with salt will work great and fast!

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

For the price I would just use salt since it is larger peices and you are trying to melt down through thick ice keep in mind you are not going to melt it into water you just need to get it to release from the concrete so you can scrape and shovel it off

Spread it on real heavy and let the snow you are going to get friday cover it up like a blanket and it will come right up with a hand held ice scraper by Saturday

If you get it on early enough today the sun will do it a lot of good

8. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Rent a jackhammer :jester:

9. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Use the head of the guy that hired you. While you are bouncing his head off the ice let him know this is why you don't go for the cheapest contractor:)
    Ok just joking on that. You need calcium chloride and you better hurry I think saturday or sunday is when things are suppose to drop. Good luck and let us know what did the trick.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say ice scraper in bobcat is a good bet.

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Since your location is Wisconsin it is going to be getting mighty mighty cold from now to Tuesday. I would find a bare spot of sidewalk and use the edge of the bobcat and try to start popping it up.

Some times when it is cold trying to get up ice chinks like you describe can work better trying to pop up big pieces and slowly work your way down the walk. Once you get the 1st couple of chunks popped up you should have a edge to work with making it easier.

Otherwise use cal and try driving over it a few times and follow the advice above as far as scrape and repeat.

12. gkp

gkp Member

Thanks guys, all the advice was awesome. I ended up salting the pi** out of it, letting it sit for 2 hours and hit it with a bobcat then did it again, worked out great. just picked up a brand new s300 yesterday...........wesport other one was too small for that lot but great for the walks.

13. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

**** did someone die from a slip and fall? unreal.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

?????????????:confused:

15. gkp

gkp Member

HTML:
      **** did someone die from a slip and fall? unreal. 
    Funny you should say that. The day before 4 people fell at one store and1 of them broke an arm, 3 people fell at another store and 5 people fell at another store in the mall....... That's just the people who were seen by employees hate to think how many were not seen or didn't complain.

16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I vote for the mayors solution, thats some funny stuff there!!!!