1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Professional advice in the Personal Forum

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Crumm, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Just my $.02 but it seems that every time someone asks about a plow for there driveway the "professionals" try to advise them to buy a $3000+ plow setup. They then proceed to bash the snowbear and anything else that they think might not withstand there commercial abuse as a "professional". The next step they seem to take is to go to the regular discussion forum and gripe about low ballers. I wonder where a low baller comes from. You think a homeowner that just bought a $3500 plow for his 300ft driveway might decide to plow the local mini mart for beer money. I think so since he just spent his last dollar on a plow that is ten times more plow than he needed.

This is just my opinion but I do not feel that a homeowner needs to spend a small fortune to plow a driveway that could be shoveled in 20 minutes. Nor does a homeowner need to trade in his family SUV for a one ton super-duty so he can plow out his parking spot. Lets try to keep the personal use forum on track as Personal Use rather than trying to create another thousand low ballers.

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Way to go. Right on the money. :)

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree 100%. That's why I always say "if you don't intend to do more than your own driveway". The Personal Snowplow is just that and it would be the same as advising me to buy $7,000 ZTR to mow my lawn.

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Partly true.
    Often times people post in the personal use forum stating that they want to get a "real", good plow set-up for their suv/light truck. Thats when i give advice on a "real" plow set up.

As far as the snowbear stuff goes, i don't know why people debate it so much. You want to plow your drive, its great, much better then shoveling and it appears to do the job well. I just read through that whole thread that Toyabie posted in and i sided with toyabie. People think because they went out and spent $3,500+ on a plow that everything else is sub par. Not always true. Its the 3/4 and 1 ton vs. 1/2 ton debate on a smaller scale. All will work, all have a purpose. I tend to advise against the snowsports not because they completely suck, but because you spend good money on them and they are not power up/down, and tend, in my experience, to ride right over the snow.

5. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I agree on the Snow Sport. I don't know why they are so expensive. :rolleyes: Guess it's cause some suburban people think it's worth it. You know, the professional office worker who can't tell a Ford from a Chevy. If they had a lift on those Snow Sport's, then it'd be better, but you have to get out to lift the plow, and that's sad.

SnowBear is a nice plow (trust me!), I have witnessed a guy with one, on a Jeep Cherokee (older model) and he plows driveways and small lots with it.

Sincerely,
    Jake

6. Personal Plow

Personal Plow Junior Member

Maybe some of the so called professionals are inadequate as men without that big plow to push the little home owner around with :p

PP

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

PP
    That was uncalled for. We had a good post with honest thoughts and opinions.

8. jasf

jasf Member

Great post Crumm. I am a "personal "plower.I appreciate all the advice from the pros. I started with a shovel moved on to a blower & now a blade on my GT.I have no time to make money at this.I just want to stay warm doing the 3 drives I have to do. I agree that some of the lowballing is created right here.I get offered 10 or 15 bucks to do a driveway just trailering my tractor around.( I don't do them!)Hopefully I wont be trailering the GT much longer. With the advice from this forum I will be getting a Homesteader or Blizzard 720 soon.

9. Personal Plow

Personal Plow Junior Member

Same here :) I find it funny that a SO CALLED PROFESSIONAL will jump on a little home owner for getting something that works great for them.

Being retired should i polk at them for only haveing one or two plows when i had alot more of them plowing at once?? i dont thin k that would be fair.

If you feel the need to put ones equipment down, dont pick on that little home owner plow, PICK ON ME :gunsfiring: I know what its like to command many trucks with REAL FISHER PLOWS and Guess what SANDERS TOO!!!!!!!!!

I resisted last year to help Chuck out. I can see it has been a Mistake. Its taken me a year to check it out again and its still the same :cry:

PP

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Cet is right. This was a very good thread until you had to stick your nose where it didn't belong. I don't see anyone putting down personal use plowing in this thread, do you? :rolleyes:

Resized_family feud.jpg

11. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

You don't get it do you??? This thread was a nice little discussion, started by a man who was actually supporting your position. Nobody was attacking anyone, and there was no need for what you said. I hope you don't mind but if you take another year (or hopefully more) to come back again, I doubt you'll be missed. There's been alot of people popping up lately with nothing positive at all to say and I don't think that's what this site is about at all.

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I don't understand that either. Here is Crumm suggesting a thread to help guys like you and you're criticizing it. :rolleyes:

13. cja1987

Would You Like To Explain Whats So Bad About This Site?

That thread with toyabie started a while ago and was brought back to the top for no reason. It does not represent the views of anyone here now. We have all said that snowbears have their use.

14. crashz

crashz Senior Member

There has been a lot of negativity lately. Has other people noticed it too? Maybe everyone is a little on edge becasue its the begining of the season.

15. bolensdriver

I haven't noticed it. I'm used to Queen forums. If you want negativity, join a Queen forum. :rolleyes: There are arguments 24/7 on those boards, and a lot less members, and not even as active. I'm happy to be here, as it's a lot nicer than most Queen forums.

16. cja1987

What other bands do you like besides queen? Just wondering :drinkup:

17. bolensdriver

Many. Aerosmith, Guns N Roses, Placebo, Twisted Sister, Cutting Crew, Scorpions, etc.

Anything rock really.

18. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

:dizzy: I'm confused. people come to this site for advice and answers yet when a pro comes up to the plate to give some good advice , why does somebody always have to try to bash instead of accepting and increasing their knowledge.

19. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

My 2 cents worth

The first 4 replys were about this thread.
    The next 13 posts were just bitching about someone else.
    It seems that every thread on this site end up like this. Think about it, about 25% of the information on this site is useable the rest is bull $hitt. Just like my post.
    I love you all keep up the good work.

20. Snow-Xpress

Snow-Xpress Junior Member

@ Dwan: I have been around forums for a couple of years now and it is all the same everywhere. I agree with you tho; 25% is usefull and the rest is bs. In some forums I used to 'hang out' there was a special section called "BS"......

Keep it real, express your opinion but do not feel attacked if somebody else doesn't like your opinion that is just life. Maybe your vision is not the only one?

"hhmm is that air you are breathing now?"

Any way that was just my 2 cents............

Luv Ya!

Snow-Xpress