1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Productivity with plows/skids

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wise Landscapin, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Wise Landscapin

Wise Landscapin Junior Member

How many Square Feet per hour are you getting with F-250's (8'6'' boss blade) and skid steers with 8' boxes?

Just curious.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

1 acre(43,000 sq') is a good place to start.
  3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

On Average the Truck will plow around an Acre an Hour and the Skid is Around on Average 1.5 Acres an Hour.....Now you will get guys on here that are The Best Plowers Ever..They will say a Truck can Plow 4 Acres an hour in Reverse and The Skid 16 Acres an Hour with a Shovel straped to the Front......So my figures are just Averages.....:salute:
  4. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I think trucks plow faster than skids from what I have seen.
  5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

It really depends on the lot. Small lots skids can run circles around a truck, literally. Big lots, a correctly equip truck can run faster.
  6. Wise Landscapin

Wise Landscapin Junior Member

7. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Agree on the 1 acre per hour, safe to make money, if you want the place go a little more aggressive.
  8. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

As a farmer I have to correct the number given for an acre. It's 43,560 sq. feet but who's counting. (Sorry not trying to be a jerk it was just bothering me.)

As for speed depends on the situation in a tight spot a skid will run circles around a truck. In an open lot with long runs a truck will probably be quicker.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

From my experience, in most cases, a skid will out plow and truck 2 to 1. That being said, your skid needs to be 2 speed and needs a good efficient pusher such as an Arctic Sectional. We run wideouts on all trucks and have skids with 10' Arctics. Our skid, on a normal say 4 inch storm, can easily plow 2.5 to 3 acres an hour. From our experience, our trucks can do about 1.5 acres an hour. They both have their place and both excell in their own area. For average sized commercial lots with obstacles, a skid is for sure your best bet. JMO