1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Productivity Theory

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Jan 1, 2002.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I know some of you guys have dedicated salt trucks. What is the advantages of have a truck set up like this? Right now all my trucks can spread and plow. Just wondered is they were much more productive, or if it was to make use of a truck, that wouldn't be able to plow.

I thought about salting with a tri-axel, however i can't see it being able to turn well enough to cover all its possible locations.

My vote is thumbs down for dedicated salt trucks, what do you guys think?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The only time I could really see this is if you had say a super duty 2wd sitting there. Even then I would probably mount a plow and use it on flat lots. Geoff I agree with you if the truck is out why not plow with it as well?
  3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We've had one truck that has been equipped only to spread since 94. As soon as I can get everything set up on it I'm going to have a plow on it as well. I can use the extra blade and while it may not be a primary plow it can and will see use on the bigger, open lots. It would have been a tremendous help to have had it when we had one truck down for the big storm last March.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have none dedicated yet , but as mentioned before i want to...the way i see it is that i could plow faster w/o a couple of tons of material in the back, yes this "salt truck" may have a plow on it but would not be scheduled for any thing but salting

this will work in my area because we only avg 40 something inches a year

with average of 15 plowable events

and an average 35 saltable events(including plowable times)

so for me an abstract way to look at it is i am in the salting business and i do snow plowing on the side
  5. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

We have one.It is a Ford LN9000 with a 8 yard sander.It is mainly a backup or used for larger events.Also it helps out in case there is a early event in Oct. when all the other trucks might not be switched yet.We also run 3 liquid trucks ranging from 300 to 1500 gallon tanks.
    Now back to your question.I don't think you need a dedicated truck for deicing.Trucks that can do both are definately more useful.On the other hand just because we have plows on our trucks,we mainly use them for deicing because the loaders do all the plowing.I guess there is no right answer.
    Great for discussion though!
  6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

All of our salt trucks are dedicated, without plows. Two are L9000 sized and putting plows on them to do parking lots seems abit ludicrous to me. In the time it takes them to back away from the pile and turn around our loaders are already at the other end of the lot, and with a much, much larger plow unit (ProTech) on the front end. Also, I'm loath to ask a fellow plowing with 7 ton of salt in the rear to stop quickly if some unsuspecting car operator darts out in front of him.

The other three (in Erie) are 14,000 GVW two wheel drive cab over trucks (Izuzu's) that we use in landscape maintnenance during summer. No way I'm putting plows on them.

Our salt guys have 4-5 hour routes so they really don't have time to plow anyway. And, with margins what they are in deicing, I want them 'puttin it down' as fast as is (safely) possible.

This is the method we are using in Salt Lake City too, as we salt much more often than we plow..... although in SLC we do have tailgate spreaders on each of the one ton plow trucks for spot salting as needed..... salt piles are on every site.
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

We have two dedicated salters (International tandems),and both have blades installed as well.During exceptionally large storms they help out with the plowing,then dump the blades and complete their salt routes.During normal storms they are used for salt only.

We also use tailgate units for smaller areas,but the two tandems do 99% of the work.We have over 55 large comercial properties,and no way would I go back to doing it with the plow trucks.Most drivers can't get the hang of salting,and throw your profit out the window.We have reduced our salt usage by almost 25% this way.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

does everyone elso agree with slim margins with regards to salt application?----if i read it correctly