1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Production rates for sidewalk crews / equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TGS Inc., Nov 30, 2015.

1. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Does anyone have any production rates for the following:

Shoveler
    Single stage snow blower
    2 stage snow thrower
    quad with a plow

I know plenty of people will have their opinions of how fast something is, just wondered if anyone has put together any real data on this?

Looking for linear feet per hour or something...

Thanks!!

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

SIMA has some made up as a guide, I've never tried to calculate how accurate it is. It really depends on the person and what that are using. Makes sidewalks a pain sometimes to price.

You could have Guy A clear 100ft in 5 minutes with a shovel and Guy B could take 10 minutes with the same shovel because he just works slower.

Im interested to see peoples responses.

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 100%. I have to estimate for the person doing it. I am by far the fastest, because I don't get paid by the hour like the others. I have a guy who has been with me for 5 years now. He's really damn quick with a shovel, but you put a single stage in his hands and it's like a weird foreign rocket ship. He feels like he has to baby it and walks like he's in slow motion. If I have the same crew it's easy for me to bid, it's when I have all new guys that I don't know that it gets hard. Sorry I couldn't help more...just gotta know your crew and equipment.

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Have watched this thread, was really hoping for some solid feed back

5. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

SIMA has some decent numbers. I am really going to monitor the production of the quads, etc. this season. Here a few numbers I have. Not sure how valid they are at this point.

Hand shoveling: 360 lf per hour
    Snow blower: 1,111 lf per hour
    Quad: 2,222 lf per hour

I would love to know what the ventrac numbers are, 2/3 stage snow throwers.

6. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Are you basing your numbers off a standard width sidewalk?

We have always struggled to put a priduction rate on sidewalk labor. We have sidewalks ranging from 30" wide to 16ft wide. It is something id like to monitor better this winter as well.

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Its sad isn't it. It really is one of the hardest variables to predict. We had guys at a former company that could shovel 100ft with a foot of snow like it was 3" and then we had guys who would take an hour to do it, need a smoke break, and then complain the whole time.

Not saying anyone wants to shovel a foot of snow, but if its fluffy stuff its not that bad. I always figured if I worked faster I stayed warmer. Maybe thats why the slower guys are always cold.

8. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Tough call. I struggle with that as well. One good guy handles 15 inches and he is waiting. Put 2 guys together on 12 inches and they couldn't keep up. Call them out on it, I hear whatever that's a bunch on bs blah blah blah. Sorry no help either

9. TGS Inc.

TGS Inc. Senior Member
    from Detroit

Those are numbers I was handed some time ago. But I would say (and we bid by) linear feet ranging from about 4-6'. A 10' wide walk or larger gets counted twice. Hope that makes sense.

10. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

It also depends on where you're putting snow (shovel off the curb into the street, long push into the grass, etc). Your shoveling numbers compared to your blower number sound a little low. Depending on the shovel and type of snow, most of my guys can shovel faster. Problem is keeping a shovel in their hands when a blower us sitting in the truck.

11. A&J Landscaping

A&J Landscaping Senior Member

Also very interested in some numbers