1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Production rate of a snow pusher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Superior L & L, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have my number but wondered what people plan for. How many acres per hour for a cat 930 with a 14' pusher, say with4" of snow. Please only comment if you have used a pusher

2. Superior L & L

from MI

No love from anyone ?

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U know how this works, give us ur numbers so we can tear it apart and insult you..... Is it a pull plow?

All kidding aside, 2½-3 depending on lay out.

4. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Lot of variables , how experienced is operator , length of pushes , obstacles in lot . Some operators might only run in 2nd gear and others in 3rd .

5. Superior L & L

from MI

I've typically done

2-2.5 on a 12'
    2.5-3 on a 14'
    4 on a 18'

But this last snow fall our 12' took 10 hours to do a 13 acre site. In all fairness to the operator it was wet, heavy snow on a first time push and the lot had cars scattered all over it. Looking to put a little bigger machine on it

6. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

There are likely too many variables to get a consistent answer.

Using numbers from Protech (since they are the only ones that give a capacity, although I am not sure I believe it), a loader model (4'x4' sideboards) with steel trip edge has a capacity of 19 yd^3 of snow.

However, assuming the Protech numbers are A) Accurate and B) representative, if you are pushing 4", you should expect to start spilling after 110 feet or so. If your pushes are 100 feet, then life is good, and you don't spill before you stack. If they are 400 feet, then you have a lot of cleanup/repeat passes to do.

If there is a plow truck to help, that could speed things up immensely. If you don't, you have to plan carefully since if your spillage exceeds the capacity of your pusher you spill off of both sides again, multiplying your work (One of the many rookie mistakes I made).

If it is only a 2 inch snowfall, you go 200 feet before spilling. Maybe it is because I am a newbie to pushing (2 years), but it seems to me that the time spent is very non-linear with snowfall due to the cleanup required. I think, but haven't tested, that the total time would be less if you pushed throughout the storm so you didn't spill.

If you can arrange the pushing so you can push in two directions so you don't have to waste half your time backing up, that is a great time saver.

I thought I was doing poorly with my 16' super duty pusher (nominal 31 yd^3 capacity) last year and only getting 5 acres per hour clearing between aircraft hangars (I don't have to back up much and there are no vehicles, islands, etc. to worry about). I'll see what upping the speed per the advice on this forum does this year.

My 12 foot pusher, used on a VR90B telehandler, is nominally about 11 yd^3. It takes me way longer than 3x as much to plow the same lot as I can do with the larger plow just because of the cleanup (no truck to help).

At any rate, due to the variability with individual lots, I'm not sure there is a single answer.

7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Did you do any clean up during the storm or was it all after. It sucked but we cleaned the lanes at our 13 acre lots around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Went back in at 2am and was done by 6am with my Volvo with 15ft box blade and another truck to do around cars in the lot, gas station and the road ways.

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

9. Superior L & L

from MI

This place wasn't open, so we waited till snow was done. The operator is a very skilled experienced guy. Maybe we just need to put a 14' box on it and put it up a gear

10. 1olddogtwo

That stuff was concrete last week, 2nd gear. We run 3rd and 14/16's with the 924. This year is 926M.

11. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

We have averaged right at 3 acres per hour with our HD14 Arctic's being pushed by Case 621B's. The LD12 on a 244J averaged just over 2.25 last winter which was the first season for that machine.

We're pushing retail properties with them to put into perspective traffic. Wal Mart, Kroger and a strip mall. This is an extremely subjective topic. Do you have enough machine to back the pusher up, do you have the right guy in the seat, what's the snow consistency, what about cars/traffic?

What size machine is on the box? You've been doing this a lot longer than me, and in a much higher snowfall area so don't take any of this as though I know more because I surly don't. 10 hours for 13 acres just seems slow to me too.

12. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I still cant see it taking that long. Are other lot has the backhoe and 12ft sectional and didnt take near that but like I said we did a little clean up during the day. Maybe because your lot was closed the snow didnt get melted or churned up by all the traffic that we got in our lots.

13. 1olddogtwo

Maybe it was a off night for him, 1st time out in months, heavy snow, icey no traction.....I don't, but that is pick up truck rates

14. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

You are talking it taking about 2x as long as you expected. Based on my own improvement with time (and I still wouldn't say I am very experienced) I can easily see an inexperienced operator taking 2x as long as an experienced one, particularly in a wet heavy snow with obstacles.

15. Superior L & L

from MI

It was very wet and heavy, first time out this season and the site is mostly a small uphill push. We are using a 12' pusher on a cat 420 so there is plenty of machine, I'm hopeful the new 924 with a 14' will really make a difference

16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

That should be plenty of machine behind the box. I've never run a backhoe and from what I've seen in videos I'd have no desire to. I would think a loader would beat the hell out of a backhoe in just about any situation.

17. 1olddogtwo

Same here, I'd be afraid of sticking that hoe in the wrong place.

18. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

Yea have to say backhoes are horrible, ok to do straight line pushing just hate losing that steering when trying to push, Arctics are a little better to keep steering. Just they are a cheap medium sized machine... I think I averaged about two hrs on 5 acres but pretty cut up with 930M and 16' Arctic... 15 minutes was refilling with DEF...lol

19. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you own the machine, how hard do you want it abused? there are always short cuts that put extra wear on a machine

20. Superior L & L

from MI

Pushing snow with a experienced operator is almost zero abuse on these machines.