1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Product

Discussion in 'Salt Away' started by Snowman19, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

Decided that i was going to start this Forum off

Your product looks good

How much does it cost??

2. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

This product is very good. There are many people who have used it and the feedback is very positive.

I'm not meaning to avoid your pricing question, but because we are the manufacturer and mainly sell wholesale to businesses, occasionally we do get requests from individuals and need to charge them retail pricing. So our pricing is confidential, but we are happy to provide that information when you give us a call. 888-725-8292.

3. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

?

what is your product and how does it work?

4. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

Salt-Away is a concentrated, water-based, salt-removing liquid that is meant to be diluted and applied to equipment that is exposed to sodium chloride (and other chlorides) where rusting and corroding are caused by the chlorides.

In the snow and ice management industry, Salt-Away can be diluted and applied by a power washer that has the capability to dispense chemicals, or by the Salt-Away dispenser (Salt-Away Mixing Unit) connected to a garden hose which dilutes the product at the correct ratio. It is recommended that the big debris be removed from the equipment prior to applying the product. Salt-Away requires 3 primary things to be effective - to be applied directly to the surface, applied with pressure, and gravity.

Salt-Away is designed to remove salt and break down salt build-up. When Salt-Away is applied to a salted surface, it dissolves the salt crystals and one of the ingredients in the product will not allow the crystals to attach themselves to a surface or to one another. With pressure,it creates a "sheeting effect" and all the salt, with the help of Mother Nature's gravity, comes off the surface and onto the ground. In areas where there is salt build-up, Salt-Away begins to break down the build-up because the product will not allow the crystals to stick or bond together. Depending on how impacted these areas are, Salt-Away may need more time to soak into the area than the time spent to wash off the equipment. We recommend the product not be rinsed off to allow these areas a chance to get the full effect of Salt-Away's salt break-down abilities. These "hot spots" are easily identified because as the salt crystals are being broken apart they begin to drizzle into areas that have already been cleaned of salt and later can be flushed away with a squirt bottle of a solution of diluted Salt-Away.

Sodium Chloride (salt) cannot be "neutralized". On the pH scale (0-14) elements rating below 7 are acidic; ratings above 7 are alkaline. The pH for salt is 7 and any element that is rated a 7, or neutral, is already neutral, and therefore cannot be "neutralized". Manufacturers who state their products neutralize salt imply the salt still remains on the surface and to protect the equipment, the product causes the salt to become neutral. These statements are technically not correct. Those products may work fine, but it would be good to find out exactly how they render the equipment safe from rusting and corroding due to salt.

During its development, one of our primary objectives for Salt-Away's performance was to be able to remove the salt. We believe if it is salt that causes and accelerates rusting and corroding on rustable and corrodible equipment, the best of all worlds is to have a product that removes it.

Thank you for your interest in Salt-Away. We welcome all questions. Answers are not always this long!

5. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

Salt-Away is a concentrated, water-based, salt-removing liquid that is meant to be diluted and applied to equipment that is exposed to sodium chloride (and other chlorides) where rusting and corroding are caused by the chlorides.

In the snow and ice management industry, Salt-Away can be diluted and applied by a power washer that has the capability to dispense chemicals, or by the Salt-Away dispenser (Salt-Away Mixing Unit) connected to a garden hose which dilutes the product at the correct ratio. It is recommended that the big debris be removed from the equipment prior to applying the product. Salt-Away requires 3 primary things to be effective - to be applied directly to the surface, applied with pressure, and gravity.

Salt-Away is designed to remove salt and break down salt build-up. When Salt-Away is applied to a salted surface, it dissolves the salt crystals and one of the ingredients in the product will not allow the crystals to attach themselves to a surface or to one another. With pressure,it creates a "sheeting effect" and all the salt, with the help of Mother Nature's gravity, comes off the surface and onto the ground. In areas where there is salt build-up, Salt-Away begins to break down the build-up because the product will not allow the crystals to stick or bond together. Depending on how impacted these areas are, Salt-Away may need more time to soak into the area than the time spent to wash off the equipment. We recommend the product not be rinsed off to allow these areas a chance to get the full effect of Salt-Away's salt break-down abilities. These "hot spots" are easily identified because as the salt crystals are being broken apart they begin to drizzle into areas that have already been cleaned of salt and later can be flushed away with a squirt bottle of a solution of diluted Salt-Away.

Sodium Chloride (salt) cannot be "neutralized". On the pH scale (0-14) elements rating below 7 are acidic; ratings above 7 are alkaline. The pH for salt is 7 and any element that is rated a 7, or neutral, is already neutral, and therefore cannot be "neutralized". Manufacturers who state their products neutralize salt imply the salt still remains on the surface and to protect the equipment, the product causes the salt to become neutral. These statements are technically not correct. Those products may work fine, but it would be good to find out exactly how they render the equipment safe from rusting and corroding due to salt.

During its development, one of our primary objectives for Salt-Away's performance was to be able to remove the salt. We believe if it is salt that causes and accelerates rusting and corroding on rustable and corrodible equipment, the best of all worlds is to have a product that removes it.

Thank you for your interest in Salt-Away. We welcome all questions. Answers are not always this long!

6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

You mean it's soap.

7. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

No, Salt-Away is not a soap and it does not contain soap or detergents. If using soap were successful, there would be no need to develop something else. Soap does remove some of the salt, but not all of it. Salt-Away removes it all. In addition, Salt-Away contains high-performing corrosion inhibitors that are specifically designed to work in the areas of the equipment that are inaccessable or where there are metal junctures or connections and inhibits corrosion from the inside-out.

8. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

And you guys came up with this in Southern California? Do you do much plowing and salting/sanding there?

9. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

Salt-Away was developed to remove salt and other chlorides from surfaces that rust and corrode due to salt exposure.

To broaden your horizons a little about salt exposure to surfaces other than snow plows and salt trucks, the following industries use Salt-Away in their operations:
    Military, i.e., US Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard
    Salt mining (Morton Salt)
    Hide Tanning - Alligator Farms in Florida
    Construction companies along the coast lines
    Utility companies - maintenance along coast lines
    Oil and Gas companies - off shore drilling applications
    Bonneville Racers
    Offshore racing and fishing tournaments
    1000's personal boats and yachts, Paul Allen's 350 ft yacht for, example
    And for road salt removal applications:
    Delaware DOT
    Virginia DOT
    New York City Transit Authority
    Pierce County Maintenance Dept (state of WA)
    State of Washington DOT
    City of Maryville, MO
    City of St. Peter, MO
    and many other contractors and independent snow removal businesses.

10. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

Salt-Away was developed to remove salt and other chlorides from surfaces that rust and corrode due to salt exposure.

To broaden your horizons a little about salt exposure to surfaces other than snow plows and salt trucks, the following industries use Salt-Away in their operations:
    Military, i.e., US Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard
    Salt mining (Morton Salt)
    Hide Tanning - Alligator Farms in Florida
    Construction companies along the coast lines
    Utility companies - maintenance along coast lines
    Oil and Gas companies - off shore drilling applications
    Bonneville Racers
    Offshore racing and fishing tournaments
    1000's personal boats and yachts, Paul Allen's 350 ft yacht for, example
    And for road salt removal applications:
    Delaware DOT
    Virginia DOT
    New York City Transit Authority
    Pierce County Maintenance Dept (state of WA)
    State of Washington DOT
    City of Maryville, MO
    City of St. Peter, MO
    and many other contractors and independent snow removal businesses.

11. Fordistough

from USA

Well I live on a small Island in the middle of a saltwater harbor on the East Coast. I think that soap does just fine. But thank you anyways.

12. Fordistough

from USA

Well I live on a small Island in the middle of a saltwater harbor on the East Coast. I think that soap does just fine. But thank you anyways!

13. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone at Salt Away answer their emails?

Hi,

I've emailed you at Salt Away(sales) three times now over the past week with no response????
    Question, how does Salt Away compare with Salt-X? Salt-X makes a big deal even using Saltaway(inferring) that they are different and their product is better???...
    I am looking to become a retailer of some sort of salt removing wash geared towards municipal and contractors in general and would like more information.

Thank You.
    Allan White

14. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Salt away was mainly developed for marine use. I decided to do a comparison a week ago after a nasty road salting. I did 3 sections. The 1st with plain water, the 2nd with soapie water with a rinse of fresh water. The 3rd with salt away with a fresh water rinse. As you all know salt has a drying chemistry. It appeared that the section where salt away was applied the fresh water sheened off drying evenly. Where as all the other applications mentioned above had specles of pre mature drying results. The stuff does work and will continue to use it.
    My nieghbors must think I'm nuts with my Ortho sprayer hooked up to a garden hose in the dead of winter.

15. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

Hi Stan,

Thank you for your message and letting us know your experience of Salt-away. We are really happy you performed testing to get your own analysis of the product's performance. It is entirely up to you, but you don't need to rinse after Salt-Away has been applied. It will still dry the same as your test showed, and there are a couple of advantages to leaving it on. The solution will get into areas where there is impacted salt, or salt build-up, and if not rinsed off, the solution will continue to soak into those areas and break it down to easily be flushed out later. Also, there are high-performing corrosion inhibitors in the product whose main job is to keep the metal from corroding in small, inaccessible areas even if salt is present. A rinse would remove the remaining solution and prevent this kind of protection. Plus, to not rinse, would save you a little labor and time. But, if you would feel better to rinse, go for it!

Thanks for your kind words about Salt-Away.

16. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I have a few questions:
    If the stuff is designed to work in areas that are inaccessible, how do you get it in there so it can do it's job?
    How does salt awaywith hot water high pressure compare to using just plain water with high pressure hot water / steam?
    You mentioned that one of the things needed to make it work was gravity. What are the effects good and bad of salt away on areas like the insides of door rocker panels where the stuff may get in but not back out.
    Thanks for your time

17. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Hi Lenora,

I thought it may be better to keep it on. Thanks for the input. You dont remember me do you ?

18. saltaway

saltaway Junior Member

I just responded to your excellent questions and my login timed out and I lost my reply. I'll do it again this weekend. Sorry!

19. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Bump, Bump Bump

20. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

Have you thought of setting up some kind of free sample program? The guys from Fluid film did it and I think it has worked well for them. If it is as good as you say you will probably get a good amount of business off this site.