1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Product improvement survey - build a better snowplow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowgm, Jan 24, 2005.

1. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

I'm looking for some people who would be willing to participate in a survey of your current and future plowing needs.

I saw a quote on someone's post about how "you don't buy a drill for the drill; you buy it for the hole". It’s the same with plows. It doesn't matter how it gets rid of the snow, it just matters that it does. I want know what you NEED your plow to do (and what you WANT it to do as well).

All information provided will be kept confidential and its a one time thing. I'll never bother you again. And no, I can't tell you who I'm working for...I'd have to kill you. :cool:

You've got nothing to lose, best case you might be able to buy a better plow next season and worst case you'll never know what happened.

If you are interested, please send me an e-mail at snowgm@hotmail.com and I will respond with the survey form. I’ll be grateful for whatever information you provide. As I mentioned, as soon as our correspondence is complete, I will send no further e-mails.

2. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Just bringing it back to the top... Tell me about your dream snowplow...

3. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Just to be clear... This is a customer needs survey. The information I'm asking for is strictly along the what do you like/don't you like variety. No big secrets.

Thanks,
    Greg

4. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Could there be an option for under hood hydraulics? I miss these systems. The older systems did not tax a delicate electrical system, are easy to fix, relatively quick, and reliable.

The truck I drove this weekend was fairly modern, but had a MMI with underhood hydraulics. It performed flawlessly for 20 straight hours of plowing. Due to the lots I plowed, the plow was always moving, and I was forced to stack as high as I could due to the limited space and huge volume of snow. After 20 hrs, the battery voltage dropped to 9-10 volts with just the load of the lights, heat, wipers and radio. I would have been outa commission if the plow was electric.

5. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

Crashz,

The under-hood hydraulics is a tough one. The story is that there is not enough demand (or room under the hood anymore). However, thats not to say that it is impossible, it would just cost more. I think in the ideal world, the central hydraulics would be the norm for the reasons that you described. Its definitely on my list. Feel free to check out the survey if you want to give some more feedback, its always appreciated.

Everyone,

I'm attaching the survey that you may review and if you want, e-mail it to me at snowgm@hotmail.com. The feedback I've gotten has been invaluable, and I appreciate your time.

Regards,
    Greg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  6. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

Have to agree with the hydraulics. Maybe a vehicle manufacturer option that would be interchangeable with different plow brands. Now THAT would be of great value to me...

7. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I filled out a survey form.

Hope you get it,
    Mark K

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'm requesting the survey too but Hydraulics is a deffinate need- plow manufacturer's need to confront truck manufacturer's about the NEED for room on engines and underhood for hydraulics in snow plow prep packages.

AIR may be an easier option- but all electric beats the hell out the trucks electrical system

9. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

I wish I could do something about the trucks. There are places where you can get central hydraulic kits from, but I think it gets tricky once you get below full size trucks.

I think most plow OEM's don't offer it because its hard to keep up with the mounting requirements, the plow mounting is hard enough to keep up with. Definitely something I've seen people asking for though.

10. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Are snowplows have the hyd. under the hood. Leo snowplows are pretty great plows. But there only made in MN.

11. PamelaRose

PamelaRose Member

You would think with all the cirpintine belts being used on engines these days it would be easier not harder to put a hydrolic pump onto the Engine. I ordered my "new" Fisher in 94like that. (that was a winter to remember. driving all over CT and Mass in a blizard collecting all the "particulars I needed") With all the stories about bad pump motors and dead batteries I wasn't about to get an electric pump. My old k-20 had an electric, the first and only electric I have had and I was always running out of battery before I was done plowing. I sure wasnt going to turn off the radio either! ;) If I remember right I use to bring a boom box just in case! LOL

Please dont tell me I wont be able to get the same set up for a new plow!

Though the HD 9' Fisher weighs a lot more than most plows and it does back-blade better than anyother plow I have ever had I would suggest trying to figure out how to get plows to back blade better. If I had a smaller plow and truck I think I would look into a set up like , is it Boss?, has with a piston forcing the blade down.

I just thought .... Doing away with the "lift chain" and putting a rod from the lift plate to the plow frame with a power up and down piston would be an idea. The rod wouldnt have to be to complicated Just 2 pins on each end.

You would have to have a 4 way valve to float it though.

My 2¢ worth payup

12. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

The problem is just that it has gotten hard to find room under the hood - and it also is a more involved installation. But for the user who cares and is willing to spend the extra money, it should be available. It also allows you to add other hydraulic accessories (spreaders, etc.) without additional work. I'm not surprised if some smaller manufacturers are still offering it, there's a definite need for it. The nice thing is, it will work with any plow (just about).

Replacing the chain with a stiff linkage leads to what Boss and Sno-Way have done, changing the whole "traditional" linkage. The additional valving (that you mentioned) costs money, though, and adds complexity. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something that needs to be carefully considered.

Take a look at the survey I attached if you want to share some of your insight on the plows you've used.

Regards,
    Greg

13. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

You can get the Ford SD with the optional PTO even on the pick ups. You should be able to mount a Hyd. pump to run a plow or sander.

14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Could you combine the advantages of the Vee plow and a Blizzard? The mold board would not have to form the forward Vee scoop. Just use Blizzard style scoops on the ends of the plow and make it go from straight to Vee while keeping the curve along the entire moldboard for windrowing. Follow? :)

15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

IF you want a new idea. How about a Snow Lazer. It just melts the snow and ice right down to dry pavement. Now that would be cool.

16. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

1. Use a controller like the Boss SmartTouch, only wireless.

2. Connection and undercarriage like the Boss.

3. Strong and fast totally external hydraulics like the Boss.

4. Lights like Boss, but maybe a three-way switch. From dim, to bright, to HID.

5. Urethane cutting edge like the one offered by Blizzard. The cross-sectional profile allows you to use a lot of down-pressure without much deformation at working speeds.

6. Retractable wings like Blizzard. Apparently the only drawback to this State-of-the-Art design is getting snow packed behind the wings, like from back-dragging. The V-Position is GREAT for transporting a V-Plow, but hardly ever used for plowing. In any case, whether you use built-in wings, retractable wings, or a standard V-Plow configuration; being able to form a LARGE scoop and transport snow out of congested areas and still windrow when needed is what most of us are looking for. Like ProSeasons suggested, retractable Blizzard wings on a smooth-faced Boss V would be perfect if it wouldn’t weigh so much.

7. Steeper left-right angle to reduce spill-off and load on the truck for heavy-wet snow, especially if you use retractable wings like the Blizzard.

8. Minimize the weight, but keep as much of it as close to the truck as possible. It’s not just the raw weight, a ton of the stress comes from the torque on the truck frame. Have you evaluated composite components for the plow frame, undercarriage, A-frame, etc.? Sure it would be expensive, but a lot of the abuse from a plow on a truck comes from transporting all that weight. Do a survey on how many guys would buy a Blizzard 810 if it weighed 400 pounds. You could almost name your price.

9. EXTREMELY thorough and tough powder-coat paint job on ALL surfaces carbon-steel surfaces.

10. Stainless steel hardware (axles, bolts, screws, nuts, pins, etc.) at ALL connections and pivot points.

17. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

YOur too late its already been done, so to speak. Ill have to see if I can find a link to it....Rob

18. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I too vote for under hood hydros. I loved the MM1 Fishers that were hydraulics. Unbeatable plows hands Down!!! You bring that back I'll buy them!!!

19. Robo

Robo Senior Member

All of your suggestions are good. Some of this is incorporated into the Snoway plows already. If we could take the lightweight frame, DP of the Snoway, the versatility of the Blizzard 810, the things mentioned which are good about the Boss, and the Western ultramount IMO we would have the perfect plow :nod:

20. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

Add double acting wing cylinders and a trip edge too.