1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prodigy - New Plow Controller Issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by hobbyjeep, Dec 14, 2013.

1. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

Installing new Prodigy plow on Son's Dodge 2013 Ram. Followed directions but the controller does not light up when powered and does not control the plow.

Vehicle lights all work as they should.... but I'm thinking there must be a ground problem since the controller is getting power (connected test lead to battery).

We have gone over wiring drawings several times...

I'ts my assumption the plow does NOT need to be mounted to turn controller on, and it's unclear in instructions if this is the case - that's how my other Western plows operate.

This is a three loom wire arrangement that plug into a "BOX". And two leads to the plow - Battery Power and the 11 pin connector.

Any suggestions what I may be missing here?? or Where to start to figure which component is bad??

Thanks

2. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

Please don't assume. It's a fact that the new multi-plex wiring plows HAVE TO be hooked up to power up the controller. Module abd solenoid out on the plow.

3. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

sharp cut...appreciate your note - are you sure? I can't find anything stating it does or does not need to be on truck - instructions are poor at best.

Just trying to understand how you know so I can stop chasing my tail...hope you own one.

Please let me know...thanks

4. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Sharpcut is correct the plow has to be connected to the vehicle to power the controller.

5. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

thanks guys...we installed plow and turned lights on...and it worked and lit up like it should. .

Showing my age but its a lot different than the old Western cable controlled plows I ran on some Jeeps!

Thanks again for the help...it is Greatly Appreciated.

6. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

You're welcome. I work on Blizzards all day, which are the same electronics as the Westerns. A lot of what you know from the old plows has changed dramaticly on the electrical side of the plows.

7. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

no power - again

New year...

Yesterday hooked up Prodigy plow... worked fine. Took it off, and hooked it back up today - no working lights on controller. But, have power to the controller (pin test) and even tried a new controller - still no lights.

Checked fuses under hood and ground cable at battery/pump -

Where do I go from here? Suggestions??

thanks/

8. dd3brand

dd3brand Junior Member

Check your ground circuit as well as your switched accessory circuit (Red/Hot Wire). The controller will not activate without the plow connected and is activated with a ground.

9. dd3brand

dd3brand Junior Member

if you still cannot get power to the control, call our help line @ 866-334-3800 and press option 2 for Technical Support.

10. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

Thanks for tips...we pin checker the plug to the controller and found one wire(black) had power...but not the red accessory supply one. Ended up running a new power wire (red). Works now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hope this helps someone else later.

11. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Regarding the need for plow to be connected.... Actually the only thing you need is the headlight plug. On any isolation module unit, (three or four port) there is a wire that goes from iso module to the grill plug and then right back to truck ground through (in two plug fleet flex) the black / org wire that is called the "ground interconnect" which you have to link up with the two black connectors at the isolation module. To trick your truck into thinking that the plow is connected all you have to do is put a little jumper (I use a cotter pin with the two sides split a bit) between pins two and seven at the truck side headlight plug. When I install plow wiring into a truck I usually set the Nighthawks on the rad and plug them in to verify the lights all work. quad headlights) With the lights connected the controller back-light will come on (if the ignition wire is connected to the control harness) but the red light will flash indicating "no communication" with the plow multiplex receiver.

12. hobbyjeep

hobbyjeep Member

Up an running this morning... but temporary wired accessory feed wire to battery with an on-off switch.

On a 2013 Ram 3/4 ton diesel, where is the easiest place to properly connect the accessory hot feed controller wire? I don't want to hack up the harnesses and/or create other problems. Any professional installers have a suggestion? Thoughts?

Thanks again

13. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Go to the fuse box and find a fuse that is hot with ign. Then get a "fuse tap" and tie into the output side. It's removable and won't requre cutting wires.

14. Sharpcut 1

Sharpcut 1 Senior Member

2013 was a transition year. Some i have done have "maxi" fuses in the box, smaller than the "mini" fuse taps. Hard to find, or take a mini fuse tap and file down the tabs to make fit. You will find most fuses under hood are hot all the time. Only a few are hot with ignition on only. Good luck! Add a fuse will be about $10 at your local auto parts store.