1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Prodigy, any input?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bdryer, Oct 16, 2015.

1. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Hey guys... already have a MVP3 on a standard cab F250 and like it a lot. Just bought a crew cab F250 and Westerns website says wideout is too heavy for my truck (?)... Looking at the Prodigy. Any body run this plow? Comments?

Thanks in advance!

2. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think its a great concept and only 3 inches narrower then the wideout when both are in scoop. But I dont have one yet so I cant speak from exp. If you use the western efficiency calculator its more efficient then your mvp3.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I personally would ignore their website and put whatever I wanted to on my truck. I like the prodigy, but like the Wideout more since you can put the wings however you want.

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Have to agree with Jeff. If I was looking into the Prodigy, I would go with the wideout.

5. jackkober16

jackkober16 Junior Member
    from MI

I would go for a blizzard 8,10' power plow. They don't have chains to break and they are easier to put on.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Try and find a pre.dd one is getting tuff.

Never had a chain break on ANY of our westerns.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

There is no more Blizzard, correct? Doesn't Snowex now hold their patent? And it's really kind of irrelevant. The OP is asking about Wideout/Prodigy.

8. jackkober16

from MI

No, Blizzard is owned by Western and you still can buy them.

9. jackkober16

from MI

Western used Blizzard's power plow design to build a Western Wideout.

10. dieselss

Only buy old stock.
    Only NEW is Snowex.

11. LapeerLandscape

Where you looking at getting the prodigy from and how much?

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Omg...I have so many issues with that statement but I'll leave it a alone

Buy the WO

13. dieselss

If you've got nothing nice to say........Bahahaha

14. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

John R Spring in Troy.... Wideout approx. $6800 installed. Prodigy approx. $6300 installed.

I have done business with these guys in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them. Easy to deal with, honest in what they tell you and great back up support. Worth the extra $.

Not cheap for sure, but..........

15. bdryer

bdryer Senior Member

Appreciate the comments guys... Must say that I am still intrigued by the Prodigy. Turn it right, and its in position. Turn it left, same thing. Position it straight and you are automatically in scoop mode.

But the Wideout seems that it would be more versatile to position any way you see fit.

MPV3 is a great plow, and I enjoy using mine, but I am starting to see the benefits of the Wideout/Prodigy blades.

As for weight issues, all three are within 60lbs of each other. MPV3 poly is at 890 lbs. Prodigy @ 880 lbs. (the 8' 6" model). The Wideout is the heaviest, weighing in at 940 lbs., hence why Western doesn't recommend it for my truck. But seriously guys, is 60 lbs going to make that big of a difference?

16. dieselss

No, 60lbs ain't gunna hurt nothing

And I say w.o

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

FWIW...I believe the front axle allowance on with 150lbs set in each seat.

18. LapeerLandscape

I have heard good things about them also. Never bought a plow from them but did get new leaf springs for the International dump from them.

19. LapeerLandscape

I cant believe you kept quite over cracktobers comments. To think he claims to be from Mi. makes me ashamed.

20. dieselss

Was bring nice, didn't wanna hijack