1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Procaster spreading ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vmj, Feb 11, 2015.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I have always had sand/salt mix... Just bought some straight salt for the first time.. Was wondering what the hopper gate and shute flaps should be set at.? Im figuring shute flaps should stay the same for throwing pattern.. Thanks,

2. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

This is really one of those things you have to experiment with yourself. Every spreader is different, start with the settings in the middle and let it run, adjust to where you want it.

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

With sand I had gate door open about an inch... Was walking by a truck todsy and it looked like his is closed down... That's y I'm wondering. Don't want to waste material....

4. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

Most of mine are open around 2 inches, I also spread wide open areas and like to drive fast so it really all depends on what you need.

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I'm in all small areas...

6. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

So say you want to spread just the width of your truck or maybe a little bit wider, start at gate open an inch or so and flaps like one setting lower then half. I'm guessing rpms will be pretty low on spreader to keep spread smaller but if you find you have to drive slow to spread enough material then just open the gate a little bit more till you feel comfortable.

7. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks for the info. I'll have to play around with it