1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

procaster conveyer ?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vmj, Apr 10, 2013.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Just wondering..... My coveyer is at its end for adjustment.... Its four years old... Wondering if u can remove one link in it? Or is it worth even trying to? Just wanted to see if anyone has done this? Thanks

2. LON

LON Senior Member

you'll probably want to take a couple of links out. Have done it to many Henderson spreaders in my 30+ years.

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

oops forgot to check this since i posted it!!!!!! How did u go about this? and what did you use as a pin to reconnect links? I do have an idear on how im thinking of doing this?? thanks

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

The dealer did this to one of my Smith 's. after they tried to get me to spring for a new chain.....then I reminded him that the one the wanted to replace was only a year old.

5. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

The dealer is going to try and get you to spring for one of their pins with a key pin to hold it all together, but in my experience after about a year the key rusts away and the pin comes out. Leading to the chain getting all mucked up and you have to shovel out what's left in the spreader to fix it again. Not fun.:realmad:
    Easiest and sure fire way to make sure it stays put is just get a grade 5 or 8 bolt with a crimped nut and use that to hold it together.
    Also make sure to take out the right amount of links, I think they're put together in groups of three. If you don't you could end up in a big gap between the bars that go across leading to a weird spread pattern.

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Whats a good way to cut the pins i'm guessing end of link will have to be drilles... I figured on useing a harden bolt for the new pin to link chain back together.. Thanks

7. Khowie644

Khowie644 Member
    from Maine

I use a grinder and take the ends of the pins off and drive them out if I want to save the old links I'm taking out.
    If I'm just going to get rid of them I just cut the old ones out with a torch.

8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Thanks, i figured on useing grinder or die grinder to cut links... Hopeing to do this while chain is still in sander...