1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problems with whelen hideaway strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kranz.eric, Feb 10, 2010.

1. kranz.eric

kranz.eric Junior Member

I have a 07 Gmc Sierra with hideaway strobes does any one have advise on keeping them from going out in the rear lights snow builds up inside. I used deutsch connectors and dielectric grease but they still go out in winter. Sometimes one rear will go out and the other will work, fronts are never a problem. I switched the rears to opposite sides and the one that is out still didn't work where the other one will. Can one burnt out light head knock out all other light heads when plugged into power supply. When disconnecting wire from bad light head at power supply all others work.

2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

It sounds like you have a damaged cable. What do you mean "snow builds up"?

3. kranz.eric

kranz.eric Junior Member

snow builds up behind the tail light assebally where wires and connectors are located

4. SafetyLighting

Underneath the truck or actually right in the cavity where the taillight is?

5. kranz.eric

kranz.eric Junior Member

in the cavity where taillight is

6. SafetyLighting

Do you have mudflaps?

Regardless, if the power supply works when you unplug a certain cable, and the strobe tube is tested and works, you have to have a damaged cable.start at the end by the strobe tube and work your way to the power supply.

7. kranz.eric

kranz.eric Junior Member

checked entire cable and all looks good. now that the snow and ice has melted, 5 days after storm all strobes are working fine. Any advise on how to seal up light cavity so snow won't get to connections for strobes. deutsch coonectors water proof? could have fooled me. dielectric gease on all connection pins, also could have fooled me. If this isn't water proof what is. has anyone ever heard of water getting in the accual strobe tube where the wires enter the tube assembally. this almost doesnt sound possible, but is it.

8. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

did you put the connectors together properly, the connectors are completely waterproof you should not have a problem with them.

9. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

also did you silicon around the back of the housing where you installed the strobe tube

10. kranz.eric

kranz.eric Junior Member

all connectors are put together properly but I will double check somtime this week.
    used rtv around stobe tubes

11. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

I would recommend putting it where the wires enter the tube and also I put some on my connectors from the rear but i am using amp style!

I have had them act up when I got alot of water on the connectors but solved it by do what i mentioned above!!!

12. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X2 on that one^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

13. firemt036

firemt036 Junior Member

fireboy hit it on the head i had a problem with water after i put them in I went to hd and got the black foam pad stuff you use for exterior outlets on your house put it between the light and the plastic of the tail light then silicone no prob. since the slightest bit of water will blow the light due to the temp. of the bulb

14. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

if a strobe tube is installed properly and of a good Quality there is not need to Silicone it the gasket that is supplied should provide a proper seal. also the Deutch Connectors should not be greased they are gaskted and that could cause an issue also you could be over driving the tube or have i wired incorrect or mis and match brands

15. kranz.eric

kranz.eric Junior Member

Again the problem only occurs in winter after a storm. strobes work all summer. can't be wiring ?? Ran strobes today for over an hour everything is fine but as soon as i drive on a snow covered slushy road strobes will stop working because snow collects between taillight and truck bed. so i'm not convinced that a mis match of brands, or grease in a deutsch connector is causing this issue i need to find a way to cover the holes behind taillight assebally to prevent snow from collecting in the spot where connections are sitting

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  16. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Please take some pics so we can get an understanding of what you are talking about. Also what make/mode/year vehicle....

17. kranz.eric

kranz.eric Junior Member

I'll try to take some pics 07 Sierra new body

18. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Ok, it will greatly help, are these dual layer light housings? I am not familiar with the newer style light housings.

As stated please post some pics.

Also a side note take your tailight assembly out and turn your strobes on and see if you are getting any backwash from the back side of the light...

19. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

also check how the ground wire is connected to the power supply