1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with Western

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA snoman, Dec 15, 2004.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I'm wondering if someone can help. I recently replaced my 6.5 western 4 a 8 ft. western. After trailering the plow home I had to put it on my friends truck since my truck had a blown head gasket. When I hooked it up the angle was real fast. After I got my truck fixed I hung the plow on it and it angled much slower, any ideas? The pump was full of fluid and the pump tested with 1700 lbs of pressure. One other question. I replaced the ram and gasket last season due to wear and leakage. I noticed after hanging the plow that it is still leaking? might of done it last year but not sure
  2. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Forgot to mention that it is a cable (old style)plow.
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Maybe it was a little colder when you hooked it up to your truck.
    Maybe a stronger battery on the other truck.
    You didn't say which ram was leaking.
    Try tightening the packing nut.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  4. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Did you use the same pump on both trucks or just the blade? His pump may be better or his electrical system may have a little more juice.
  5. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

maybe its his electrical system. My pump tested 1700 lbs of pressure and my dealer said most of the newer ones didn't test that high. I don't know if the truck had dual batteries or not. Might have higher ouput alt. Don't know what mine is.
  6. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

just the blade
  7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Definately electrical :confused: ...did one truck have single and on truck have dual batteries? Was one a diesel? Have the batteries tested (especially for reserve capacity) by any garage specializing in electrical systems. :nod:
  8. Runner

Runner Senior Member

His pump just runs faster than yours. It is most likely his electrical. Was his lift faster than yours, too? Another factor in this is the health of his pump. drain yours and change the fluid. This can have a significant effect on it, as well.
  9. drplow

drplow Senior Member

the only thing it could be is the juice. :drinkup:
  10. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, but it cold be a temp thing to and your fluid was colder and thicker too. I recented went through my motor on my pump and clean up the cummutator and brushes and re-greased the motor shaft bushings too and it runs noticable faster now too. Also when you change your fluid you shold change filter(s) to from time to time as they can clog up a bit too with time and slow things down some as well.