1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with western quadrant

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jason Pallas, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

I just got a replacement quadrant for my uni-mount from J.thomas Distributors. I went to go install it - while putting the angle cylinder pins in, I had to tap them to get them in (and I mean "tap" in a very gentle way NOT Pound!). Well, low and behold - I look under the quadrant and the u-shaped mount for the angle cylinder has broken!!!! It just broke at the bend of the U - not even at the weld!!!!
    What a piece of crap! I'm pretty sure this is not an OEM replacement part. I mean if this thing broke just putting it on - think of what the rest of it would look like after a night of plowing. I'm totally disapointed - my guess is that the thing was probably welded in Mexico with steel from China. BTW the powder coating on the unit was little more than spray-on bedliner paint. That's what outsourcing gets you!!! I'm from Detroit - I shoulda known better - next time I'll ask if the part is made in the USA. I'll be returning this one Monday morning for sure - and off to the Western Dealer to buy an OEM quadrant.
    My question: Has anyone else tried after-market quadrants/A frames and had similar problems? I probably could have melted down some pop cans and made a stronger quadrant.

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I've often thought aboutthese and wondered about them, myself. We were just discussing this tonight as we were straightening and welding a Western A frame that was cracked clean through. We've rebuilt several of these A frames and pivot points (top of the A), but have never replaced one with an aftermarket.