1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problems with truck side wiring

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mud Duk, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Mud Duk

Mud Duk Junior Member

I have an 04 dodge 3/4ton CTD. I took the wiring harness off of a 2000 dodge 3/4 ton CTD. I had called a local Boss dealer and he said it that should hook right up no prob. Well i have been slow putting all the plow stuff on my truck when i got time, ie. undercarriage and wirring.
    Well i got the new under carriage on with no problem. Last night i hooked up the truck side wiring harness. I had everything hooked up and the way it came off the old truck and when i turned the lights on with the switch toggled to truck i have parking lights, turn signals and low beams but when i flip to high beams the lights shut off. I double checked all my connections and switch wiring and everything and it seemed to be right. I did notice that when i tried to use high beams on the set of 2 relays one of the relays was clicking.
    I want to make sure that i ran the pos. fused wire that was supposed to go in the cab the right way, i ended up running it under my hood B/C thats were my fuse box is. Is there a certain amount of amped fuse i am supposed to hook this too?
    I have unpluged the plow wiring harness from my headlights and re-hooked them up stock. High beams and low beams both work fine, so this i hope eliminates fuses on the truck.
    I have not even hooked the plow up yet to see if that works. I want to get my truck issues first. I am hoping to maybe get some insight or recomendations on what could be wrong. Thanks in advance.
  2. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

Sure it takes the same headlight adaptor? My old set up came off my 2000 Excursion, it required an adaptor to convert to the new wiring for the 05. Could be a difference in wiring. Try calling a different Boss installer.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is a difference in the headlight polarity between the 2000 and your '04 on the Dodges. The 2000 would have had positive common head lights, your '04 will be negative common.

All you need to do is flip the vehicle option connector 180 degree's in the plow harness and your light issues should be fixed. Dig around on the plow harness not too far from the relay pack. You'll find a two wire rubber connector plug in the harness. Disconnect it, flip it 180 degree's, and re-connect it.

The dealer gave you good info...he just didn't give you enough info.
  4. Mud Duk

Mud Duk Junior Member

Is it the little square black thing on the relay part of the harness that is on the red wire. I thought that that was a resistor or inline fuse.

I ended up clipping all the wires that go to the relay and basically taking out the relay entirely. I do not have any headlights on my plow but i have high,low and fog lights on my truck now with the harness attached. I do want to fix it so that i have plow lights and am able to use my truck lights when i unhook my plow.

I called anther dealer around hear and he told me that i needed the 13pin harness not the 11pin. Is what you are telling me to do gonna make it so i do not need the 13 pin? And is that vehicle option connector in the braided part of my harness? Can i feel it thru the braided stuff?

Thank you for your time and help so far.
  5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Knowing the fact that your working with an 11 pin harness and not a 13 would have been helpful. For your '04 you need to upgrade from the old 11 pin to the current 13 pin as there are no 11 pin harness light adapters for your truck, since its too new. You need the 13 pin and all will work.