1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with Tecumseh, looking to replace with briggs?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Greenmonster, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Greenmonster

Greenmonster Junior Member
    from NH

I have a 2008 Meyer 3yd sander with a 10hp Tecumseh. It's been nothing but problems since day one (the motor that is). Seems each time we fix it, it works fine for a while and then it's something else. Now we can't get it started again and I just really don't want to put anymore money into it. So, I'm looking to replace with a Briggs, as we have those on two other sanders and they've been pretty good to us. I've been trying to find one on line, which I've found lots of, but they don't seem to have the same mounting configuration -- they appear to be lawn mower motors. Does anybody know of an on line source for what I need or am I looking at having to go through a dealer?
  2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I would bag the Briggs and go to a Honda, I had nothing but problems with my Briggs motors last year and the Honda is my last ditch effort before I go electric.
  3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

but, forgot to answer the question.

smallenginewarehouse.com is a good place to get them.

smallenginsurplus.com is where I just ordered a honda from a couple of days ago.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Generac All The Way! ussmileyflag

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Have you tried switching out your carb? My buddy does alot of those and thats the first thing he does to them.... throws the current carb in the garbage and puts a new one on...... 90% of the time it fixes the problem he says....... they get just alittle "play" in the throttle plate rod and thats all it take to have these things not run right as there is no adjustment to these things....HIH
  6. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Briggs is comeing out with a new motor soon. Its to compete with the hondas in the 5-13hp with a new intake less fuel per hour.
    try looking at kohler as well .

I love my Z just not now
  7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the Honda
  8. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

On the bottom of the carb you will find the main jet. Take it off and clean it. It will have a 7/16 hex head with a screw in needle. The newer one might not have the screw in needle. It will have a large hole in the side and a small one closer to the top. Look hard it's there. The small one will clog all the time. Put a small piece of wire through it and use lots of carb. cleaner. Put her back together, adjust that needle valve and she should run fine. Don't forget to use a fuel stabilizer in the off season. Good luck