1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with taking off and putting on blade

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jas, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Jas

Jas Junior Member

I purchased the Sd for my :2011 GMC 1500 , however the only problem I have is when I take off the blade the trucks front end raises and I have problems putting the blade back on because its lower then the brackets on the truck?
  2. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

Just put something under the plow frame to hold it at the correct height. That's all I can think of if your truck sags that much when you put the plow on.
  3. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

If you bought it new, your dealer might have some ideas for you as well.
  4. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Are you pushing the lift cylinder all the way down? Just push the headgear foward. Then drive in.
  5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

My 99 Tahoe did this all the time, as soon as the pins come out it would raise 2"+. When you go to put it back on, pull the headgear towards the blade until the attachment arm can slide up into the bottom part of the pushplate. Then you can lift the pin handle and push the headgear up and it will lock into the truck. MUCH EASIER WITH TWO PEOPLE.
  6. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

That happens if i try to hook up with a few inches on the ground. Just go to the front of the blade and pull the head gear towards you so the mount is higher. Took me a season to get dialed into the minute mount 2. Still don't love it.
  7. Jas

Jas Junior Member

Would timbrens installed on the front end help?
  8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Turn your torsion bars up a couple turns so it makes the front end a little stiffer.
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they would.
  10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

This will also help.
  11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ok, bear with me, I will try to explain my method.

Drop the blade using float. Get out, press down on the lift cyl, enough to get slack in the chain.
    Drop the stand, pick it up and drive it into the ground if the ground is soft...seat it as far as it will go into the ground, then make sure the lock pin is in. Might have to lift the stand slightly, but no biggie.
    Now pull the pins.
    Now, and this is the important part, go back to the cab and hit the lift button until the chain just takes tension...now hit it again so it barely starts to pull the truck's front down...no more than 1/2 inch, less is better...now unplug the wires, and back out. The plow will now be perfect to reattatch.

When you do reattach, remember you need to hit float again. You need the slack to push the frame towards the truck and lock the pins.
  12. Jas

Jas Junior Member

After trying different amount of weight for ballast, I've fiqured it out. I either had to much weight or not enough, so with 250# it seemed to allow taking it off with out the front end lifting up at the time of disconnecting it and then it would be at the right hieght when pulling back up to it to connect it. It just took me a little while to fiqure it out. Thanks
  13. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

As your dropping the the stand that holds the plow lift the truck so you get up to the next hole ( on my F-350 my knees fit under the bumper and can easyly lift the front end one or two holes higher with little effort) at the same time as lifting with your knees engauge the rod the holds the stand.
  14. speedy1wrc

speedy1wrc Senior Member

I was going to try something like that. Getting it one hole higher.
  15. Buswell Forest

from NH

Try my way just once.
  16. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

I honestly dont think the mm2's can get any easier. No matter the weight in the back the ground the blade is on I always pull up close get out pull headgear back drive in release the pins push up on the headgear maybe shake a couple times and I'm done. This always works with different plows and different trucks hardly ever do both trucks run the same plows all winter.
  17. Buswell Forest

from NH

I have found that more often than not the headgear will flop back to where it was right after you let go of
    it. This is why I use the lift ram to pull the headgear back and hold it. My way works every time. Drive right in the first time, no issues.
  18. wolfmobile8

wolfmobile8 Senior Member

My xblade does this every time i take it off. once I back out the headgear tilts back a little and my brothers exv does to. Just before you put it on just tilt the headgear down a little towards the plow so it;s a little higher. That's what we do everytime. never have a problem.