1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problems with starting

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by caz41, Nov 30, 2004.

1. caz41

caz41 Member

I have a 99 2500 with the 6 liter V8. The problem that I have been experiencing is when I go to start it after it has been running for a while. When I go to start it, it turns over for about 5-15 seconds before it fires up. When it does fire up, then it running very low idle for another 10 seconds or so and then kicks up to normal idle. The motor runs like new once it kicks up to normal idle and at all operating speeds. When I go to start it in the morning after it sitting all night, it fires right up like new. I have brought it to several mechanics and dealerships and have not had any luck fixing the problem. They have run injector cleaner through the gas, did a complete injector and fuel system cleaning and still have had no sucess. There is no indication of any of the trouble sensors being activated. Help please... :confused:

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Is it its worst when hot? (the hotter it is the worse it gets)

3. It might be worth a shot to disconnect the battery for a couple of hours. This will make the computer reset itself, which could solve minor problems. It sounds to make as if the computer is not reading the air temperature correctly and supplying the proper amount of fuel at startup.

4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Try checking your fuel pressure regulator. It's on the left fuel rail, Just pull the vacume line off of it and see if any fuel drips out. If it's wet with fuel that's your problem.

5. caz41

caz41 Member

Tarkus, no it does not any worse as it gets hotter. The best way to describe it is if the truck has not been running for several hours (different times but at least 4-6 hours) then it will start right up like it's brand new. Anything less than that and it will have to turn over for a while before it starts and then idles low. Once it kicks into the normal idle then it runs great until I shut it off.

Red, I'll give that a try today and let you know.

Thanx for the help guys.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Okay I am maybe thinking fuel pressure too because if it is too low the fuel and "boil" in the fuel lines in engine compartment when engine is hot and "vapor lock" a bit when you first restart it until the vapor fully purges. I am 99% sure that this is a fuel issue of some kinda though, not a sensor issue.

7. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Fuel. Check your lines maybe one igot pinched or pushed too close to the motor and heating up the fuel. Check your fuel reurn line too.

8. caz41

caz41 Member

Guys I checked the fuel pressure regulator and that was not it.

Also had a mechanic hookup a fues pressure guage, and that was not the problem either. Thanx for trying, any new ideas keep them coming.

9. extremsnomobile

extremsnomobile Member

is it gas or fuel (deisel) and ur computer sounds like it isnt working rite

10. Have you tried this yet...

11. scottL

Well if your getting fuel pressure... Then they must have checked if the fuel was bubbling thus causeing some vapor lock. Whens the last tune up you had? ( I know in my chevy mini van I turn the key and wait 3 seconds for the line to pressurize before turning the key or it's a hard start. )

12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

DO yourself a favor and find someone with a fuel pressure guage and knows how to use it. It will save you a bunch of time of troubleshooting....Rob

13. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

What was the fuel pressure when you had it checked? You need at least 55psi for your truck to start without cranking for a while. Also when you first turn your ignition key on fuel pressure should go up to around 60psi and then settle off to around 50-55psi and stay there. It should not drop down for at least a couple of hours. If it starts to drops right away you have an internal leak in the fuel system, possible check valve in the fuel pump, regulator, or injectors leaking. I would also recheck your fuel pressure regulator, they do not always leak fuel the first time you check them. It's like they have a mind of there own, a bad regulator will not always leak externally every time you check it. Good luck.

14. caz41

caz41 Member

Red- I don't know what the pressure was, I had a friend who is a mechanic do it. I trust him that he did not try and screw me, and he is a ASE certified mechanic so I also trust that he nows what he is talking about. He did all the tests as far as starting it and turning the key on and what not. He said that all were within normal running specs.

15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You may have a temperature sensor telling the computer the temperature is cold and it is dumping gas in for cold start and this will cause rough idle till it burns it off. Just a guess because I had the same problem.

16. scottL

It's true a temp sensor will cause the engine's computer to dump more gas change the air mixture.

Q, When the engine is running do you notice any other issues? when accelerating? ideling?

17. caz41

caz41 Member

Scott- nothing at all, once it is running it works perfectly fine.